What do you guys think

LesPaulsandBanjos

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm new to this forum, thought I'd stop here to show off, and maybe lend some insight, on my 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard 50s reissue.

This was my very first Les Paul that I bought from a local shop in 2006 that has since closed it's doors. The previous owner was the shop owner himself, but he never really lent any insight on it. But everywhere I take it people marvel over it.

I've had people offer up double what I paid for it when I gig with it. I've had people tell me "Come on, pick your price, everyone has a number" when I say it's not for sale.

I've had people try to walk off with it from gigs, I even had some guy follow me around Guitar Center after I took it to my tech who works there presumably waiting for me to set it down after I refused his offer.

Everyone that sees it always comments on the grain, and that they have "Never seen one like it" before.

So, that lead me to want to do research on it, since I know zero history other than when it was made and where, and how I came into possession of it.

Any information or knowledge you might be able to offer up just by looking at it would be appreciated!

Attachments

Greg Dunn

Reaction score
From what I can see in the pic it has nice grain, and the tobacco burst looks good.

If you like it, keep it but if you have your eye on something else if someone is willing to double your money take it.

LesPaulsandBanjos

Reaction score
From what I can see in the pic it has nice grain, and the tobacco burst looks good.

If you like it, keep it but if you have your eye on something else if someone is willing to double your money take it.
I have no intention on selling, but was looking to see if someone could identify the top on it. Or insight to '96 specs

sonar1

Reaction score
They call mine a “November Burst,” but it’s a 2020 Slash Standard.
A lot of people say it’s a “Bourbon Burst.”
E7C839F8-935D-47C8-A2CF-273E97599159.jpeg

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a very unique bit of maple, yeah, I’d be keeping it if it was mine. Those long grains stripes are very desirable or so I have read. Think it speaks to quarter sawn? One of the luthiers prolly be able to confirm that.

pondcaster

Reaction score
Sweet Les Paul right there. I had a chance to get a few LPs in mid nineties but was only into Fenders then... Probably my loss. They seemed to be everywhere? Prices weren't too crazy either.

gball

Reaction score
That thing is killer. Don't let it out of your hands.

I had a '96 with a similar but less striking plain top (mine was HCS not tobacco). It was one of the best guitars I have ever owned, wish I had never sold it. I picked up one of the 2016 Sweetwater plain top no-relief Traditionals that were intended as an ode to those mid-'90's Standards and looked for a top as close to the one I had as possible. It's got the same vibe as yours but, again, not such a spectacular grain as yours.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a 1996 Standard in Vintage Burst.... Black burst with a yellow teardrop. Not a reissue of any kind. Nice grain thru the maple cap. Some one replaced the speed knobs with black reflectors. Nashville bridge.

Gibson.jpg

LesPaulsandBanjos

Reaction score
It's a 1996 Standard in Vintage Burst.... Black burst with a yellow teardrop. Not a reissue of any kind. Nice grain thru the maple cap. Some one replaced the speed knobs with black reflectors. Nashville bridge.

View attachment 522514
How do you know it’s not a reissue from my picture?

i Personally haven’t looked underneath the pups, but all things I have indicate it is a 50s reissue. (The tag at the shop when I bought it said so.

Did ‘96 Les paul standard non 50s reissue come with a baseball bat of a neck profile?

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

i Personally haven’t looked underneath the pups, but all things I have indicate it is a 50s reissue. (The tag at the shop when I bought it said so.

Did ‘96 Les paul standard non 50s reissue come with a baseball bat of a neck profile?
Yes....actually they came in '50s and '60s profile..... the Nashville bridge is a big giveaway.

There was Reissues in 1996...... The Custom Shop was up and running in 1993..... Pre-Historics were gone by 1992. All reissues came with ABR-1 bridges.

This does not fit the bill for either one.

Just your normal run of the mill USA production serial number...... they were out of the reissue production once the Custom Shop was in buisness.

Last edited:

jskidder

Reaction score
The serial number would follow a MYRRRR format if it was a reissue.

zeplin

Reaction score

Serial number, shallow pickup rings and Nashville bridge indicate Gibson USA, not reissue but a very nice guitar.

Last edited:

bungle

Reaction score
Beauty Standard! :thumb:Love the wood grain & Vintage Burst.

LesPaulsandBanjos

Reaction score
Yes....actually they came in '50s and '60s profile..... the Nashville bridge is a big giveaway.

There was Reissues in 1996...... The Custom Shop was up and running in 1993..... Pre-Historics were gone by 1992. All reissues came with ABR-1 bridges.

This does not fit the bill for either one.

Just your normal run of the mill USA production serial number...... they were out of the reissue production once the Custom Shop was in buisness.
That's actually good to know! Thank you!

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's actually good to know! Thank you!
Absolutely.....that's what we do around here.....beautiful guitar regardless....not too many in vintage burst.:cheers:

And :welcome:to the forum amigo!

Arf

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm new to this forum, thought I'd stop here to show off, and maybe lend some insight, on my 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard 50s reissue.

This was my very first Les Paul that I bought from a local shop in 2006 that has since closed it's doors. The previous owner was the shop owner himself, but he never really lent any insight on it. But everywhere I take it people marvel over it.

I've had people offer up double what I paid for it when I gig with it. I've had people tell me "Come on, pick your price, everyone has a number" when I say it's not for sale.

I've had people try to walk off with it from gigs, I even had some guy follow me around Guitar Center after I took it to my tech who works there presumably waiting for me to set it down after I refused his offer.

Everyone that sees it always comments on the grain, and that they have "Never seen one like it" before.

So, that lead me to want to do research on it, since I know zero history other than when it was made and where, and how I came into possession of it.

Any information or knowledge you might be able to offer up just by looking at it would be appreciated!
That's amazing. I wish I could get a closer look because it almost looks like ash top, although historically there's no such thing. But if it was an ash top it would be one of those weird limited models and not a reissue. That's a keeper.

Latest Threads