What Do you Guys Think of "Crossfit"?

Rocknburn

Reaction score
If you are skinny you can get six pack at home my cousin got really fit body and all he did was situps and pushups.Its all about body fat.

Reaction score
I've never had the misfortune to deal with any Crossfit cult members, but I imagine they're not much different the the P90x know-it-alls.

Gundecker

Reaction score
My wife and I did the couch to 5k thing and got into what we thought was reasonable shape. She joined a "Group training program" run by an ex SEC hall of famer/USFL super hero looking guy. She lost 25# and got in really great shape in 12 weeks. She pursuaded me to join for the next 12 week regime.
Holy mother o' all that's holy!! This guy kicked our asses. He is an a-hole 90% of the time. The program is 1.25 hrs,4 days a week and there is NO stopping,NO drinking water,NO toweling off etc. Point is, it works. I lost 24# and got..er ..ripped as much as a 55 yo guy about 35# overweight could.
I mention this because one of our fellow "victims" had just come from a Crossfit regime and said our stuff was far and away harder. A guy died in the first 12 week session. Fell out with a massive heart attack.I could hardly walk or breath w/o pain the first two weeks.
Here's the lowdown: Move more,eat less. Take in X good calories and burn X+500 calories and you WILL drop weight. There is really no easy way to do this if you want to see results fairly quickly. Couple folks lost 50# range in 12.

Shadowplayer

Reaction score
My roomate does crossfit. I used to run 40-50 miles monday - friday. I almost had a heart attach doing a workout with him. Im done with it

anthem1

Reaction score
I use to do crossfit to training in the off season when I use to race downhill mountain bikes.. I don't race anymore so no need for me to do it ..

bildozr

Florida Man
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you are skinny you can get six pack at home my cousin got really fit body and all he did was situps and pushups.Its all about body fat.

That's a beach body, that ain't a muscular build. Skinny boy abs aren't real abs. Although aesthetically looks better than a beer gut. I keep telling that to one of my workout buddies. He weighs a buck 20 and tries to hold his "abs" over my head. He's getting there but he is not in as good of shape compared to me. I ain't a little skinny boy, I have a gut going on. I am quite strong however.

Paraphrasing what Tommy has stated in the past, most people see you with your clothes on. So if you're a 135 lbs and ripped, no one will notice. If you get big, that's what people will notice.

bildozr

Florida Man
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just got my New Balance Minimus 20v3's in. I've been waiting on them for a while. There's been a border dispute and they haven't been able to get us our mail.

I'm so excited to get off of work. I'm going to go do some olympic lifts. :D

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
i just looked at the local crossfit place.....$100/month IF you sign a 12 month contract.

Pass. I'm way too cheap for that.

I'll stick to my current gym. Yeah, I might not get ripped but the weight is still coming off.
Dood!!! $1200 commitment. That's a lot of scratch.

My gym is $20/month. There is a location every 5 miles it seems like, and because I travel for work I go to many of them.

Working out in a group setting would be a nice change of pace, though.

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
it's a two day training course to be a crossfit instructor...

i think this is where a lot of the criticism comes from... anyone can get a training cert without having any real pt experience.... so the quality of the instructors is hit or miss, location dependent.

CrossFit Trainer Courses

Crossfit: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

i trained the old fashioned way [running and biking] and my only gym experience was with jack lalane.... where i met my wife who worked there.....running, biking, weight training works great.

bildozr

Florida Man
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There's a standard that the trainers have to meet. It's like on the job training with a test.

You have to have good form and meet a fitness standard to be certified. Certification is really a two day evaluation.

Hamtone

Reaction score
I have been into fitness and lifting for nearly 20 years. I recently start xfit because I was tired of working out alone. When you walk in you write your name down on the white board do your workout and post your results. This puts you in a position of having to strive to a higher level.

As far as what you can and cant do (because of injury etc) is adjusted. There is extremely overweight people just starting and a few old ladies (60+) doing there thing. Is any of it new? No but it is packaged for you to have work on the stuff you suck at.

The last piece is you have one on one training and a community embracing the suck with you.

It can be culty and there is douches but most just want to live to a higher standard in one way or another.

Hamtone

Reaction score
Most trainers from a fitness gym or xfit do a 2 day course. Not every trainer at a gym has a bachelor degree in fitness training. Even Poliquins class is 3 days

Olds442

Reaction score
crossfit at 30.

so these are the people guzzling joint pain relief when they're 44.

gotcha.

matthew bear

Reaction score
good stuff. I am inspired to go lift by myself at my house...

I really could use the community motivation factor :hmm:
I work out with my neighbor sometimes, but he is always "injured"...so it's not great.

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

'The fight or flight response only kicks during moments of impending danger precisely because the response itself is potentially dangerous. It’s a calculated risk on the part of your own biochemistry: turn it up to 11 and risk the joint damage or become food for a cave bear. When invoking that kind of biochemical gambit becomes less of a do-or-die, last-ditch effort to survive and more of a Tuesday-at-the-gym-is-chest-day scenario, you’re inviting in a whole mess of future problems.'

priceless.

Latest Threads