What do you consider a low ball offer

splatter

Reaction score
The spam folder thing is the first thing I thought of. I had some things listed on craigslist over a period of weeks, no responses whatsoever. I thought it was odd. I went back later and looked in my spam folder, and there were quite a few messages asking about all the stuff I was selling. I had since sold everything, but I still went through and responded to all of the messages. It actually bothered me that all these people might think I didn’t care enough to respond.
No, I sent him a message on another forum that shows your message in the outbox until the other guy reads it then it doesn't show in your outbox anymore so I know he got the offer

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
Not a lowball story. More of a hardball...

I have a power amp listed locally. Brand new, they're 600 bucks. Mine lived its life in a road case, was only used a handful of times and is now back in the original box looking like the day it was made. I put it at $395, willing to take less.

Guy messages me yesterday asking if it's still available and is the price negotiable. I said "somewhat". He replied with "what's the lowest price you'll take?"...
Dude. If you want a better deal, be a man and make an offer.
Anyway, I reply with $325. He says he'll come get it today for $300. I'm thinking "you've already established the ground rules of 'the lowest price I'll take', I played along and now you want to throw out the rules and offer less?". I simply replied with "No. I'm good at $325".

He asks where I am because we're in the same neighborhood. I replied but by the time I did, there was a message from him about how "we're neighbors, it's father's day, c'mon"... I didn't reply to those.

About an hour later, he asks when I'm available tomorrow for him to come see it and we make the arrangements. I get...
"See you tomorrow "

"So the price is $300?"

I finally hit him with
"I’m good for tomorrow at 5. You asked what my lowest is and it’s $325. Not being a hard ass but if I trade it in at L&M, I can get $320 in trade (plus saving the tax)."

Also, when I first replied with the $325, I told him that the local shop had just put out a used one from their rental stock that looked like it had been dragged behind a truck and it was $375 plus tax. He said "ok bud, see you tomorrow".

Note: The amp is by Yorkville who owns the Canadian music store chain Long & McQuade. They use these for their rental stock and they sell a ton of used ones so they've already established the market. I'd had them look up the sales history and they normally start them at $400.

If he shows up tonight with $324, I'm showing him the door.

Like I said at the beginning, I don't consider his offer a lowball. In fact, had he come out and OFFERED $300, I would have gladly accepted. I'm not even annoyed. He just happened to catch me in a playful moment of "I don't give a shit if I sell this or if it sits in my basement for another year".

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
No, I sent him a message on another forum that shows your message in the outbox until the other guy reads it then it doesn't show in your outbox anymore so I know he got the offer
You are dealing with the general public. Being rude can almost be expected. I wouldn't think twice about it.

splatter

Reaction score
Just for some more info here ,I offered $2300 on a $2400 guitar .I was scraping to come up with $2300 . If he was unwilling to accept it and had made a counter offer or told me "no sorry i really need $2400" then I would have been fine with it and probably made the effort to scrape up some more cash or come back with more cash next payday.
Since I got no reply when I do get the other $100 I won't be buying his guitar.
I always charge more than what I want just to make the buyer feel like hes getting a deal.

splatter

Reaction score

I have a power amp listed locally. Brand new, they're 600 bucks. Mine lived its life in a road case, was only used a handful of times and is now back in the original box looking like the day it was made. I put it at $395, willing to take less.

Guy messages me yesterday asking if it's still available and is the price negotiable. I said "somewhat". He replied with "what's the lowest price you'll take?"...
Anyway, I reply with $325. He says he'll come get it today for $300. I'm thinking "you've already established the ground rules of 'the lowest price I'll take', I played along and now you want to throw out the rules and offer less?". I simply replied with "No. I'm good at $325".

He asks where I am because we're in the same neighborhood. I replied but by the time I did, there was a message from him about how "we're neighbors, it's father's day, c'mon"... I didn't reply to those.

About an hour later, he asks when I'm available tomorrow for him to come see it and we make the arrangements. I get...
"See you tomorrow "

"So the price is $300?"

I finally hit him with
"I’m good for tomorrow at 5. You asked what my lowest is and it’s $325. Not being a hard ass but if I trade it in at L&M, I can get $320 in trade (plus saving the tax)."

Also, when I first replied with the $325, I told him that the local shop had just put out a used one from their rental stock that looked like it had been dragged behind a truck and it was $375 plus tax. He said "ok bud, see you tomorrow".

Note: The amp is by Yorkville who owns the Canadian music store chain Long & McQuade. They use these for their rental stock and they sell a ton of used ones so they've already established the market. I'd had them look up the sales history and they normally start them at $400.

Like I said at the beginning, I don't consider his offer a lowball. In fact, had he come out and OFFERED $300, I would have gladly accepted. I'm not even annoyed. He just happened to catch me in a playful moment of "I don't give a shit if I sell this or if it sits in my basement for another year".
Yea I had a 5 watt blackstar combo listed on CL for $200 a while back.New it was $350 and it was still in excellent condition . I got a guy that contacted me and wanted me to take $125 I told him no that $175 was a good price for the amp and that was as low as it goes. He starts arguing that it doesn't have reverb and that he sees the onles like mine for $125 all the time . I told him to go buy one of those.Ended up selling it for $175 and the guy was happy as hell to get it

Ed B

Reaction score
Just for some more info here ,I offered $2300 on a $2400 guitar .I was scraping to come up with $2300 . If he was unwilling to accept it and had made a counter offer or told me "no sorry i really need $2400" then I would have been fine with it and probably made the effort to scrape up some more cash or come back with more cash next payday.
Since I got no reply when I do get the other $100 I won't be buying his guitar.
I always charge more than what I want just to make the buyer feel like hes getting a deal.
Perhaps he's "leaning on your offer"? He may not want to accept or decline hoping a better one will come in. While keeping you there, just in case.

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Just an FYI, this doesn't work.

In the age of the internet I'd say 95% of the people know exactly what they should be paying for said item.
I thought what he actually meant was that he asks more, knowing that he’s going to come down a little bit, letting the buyer think they are getting a better deal. I do that, hell, I thought everybody did that.

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought what he actually meant was that he asks more, knowing that he’s going to come down a little bit, letting the buyer think they are getting a better deal. I do that, hell, I thought everybody did that.
Thats how I took it too. I get that people think that maes sense, I just happen to disagree.

I feel like if its priced right to begin with and something someone wants its going to sell. If I have an item that I want $4500 for but price it for $5000 just to let the buyer think he's getting a good deal than I am doing myself a disservice. there are many buyers who don't want to dicker on price and may not make that $4500 offer or just look at it as overpriced and move on.

As I mentioned, I know exactly what I should be paying with a little research when I go into search and purchase mode.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Question.....did his ad say $2400 or best offer?

2manyGuitars

Reaction score

"See you tomorrow "

"So the price is $300?"

I finally hit him with

What d’ya know? He came by a half-hour ago and took it for $325. Didn’t even mention price.

judson

Reaction score
every deal is different , so many variables if you want to over analyze it

sellers that are way over priced are not worth the effort to call or send an email,

i see things sit forever, they think they are going to catch a fool or they think they have gold....

online i will make everyone an offer just to see where they stand if they are close to the value i think its worth

i can make offers on many guitars and if i get one or two at my price, im happy........

if i see an item that is under priced and i want it or have been looking for it awhile....booom !!! im on it before the next guy

when knowledge and opportunity meet.......that equals success, happy hunting

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider a $300 offer on a $400 asking price a low ball (from the OP).

For me, it's all about the approach. If someone sends me a low offer and just writes "$300 cash" I'm probably going to be a prick to them but if they open a dialog, ask a few questions (you know, be human), and then throw in the money question, I will be nicer and work with them. That's what I do as a buyer and find it works, and if something I want is out to lunch overpriced, I try to provide examples of actual selling prices in a nice way.

On the flip side, I did low ball a guy once (badly) and it turned out well, so what do I know. :laugh2: Asking price was $3,000 for a Custom Shop guitar, all his ad stated was "must sell need cash" and I replied with "$2,000?" He wrote back within minutes with his phone number, I called him and he was super cool about it, "Yup, I'll do it for the $2,000 if you have cash."

It was a bit of a drive for me, 4.5 hours round trip, but I went to his house the next day. The whole way there I kept thinking 'it has to be stolen' or 'something's not right' but he was legit and had a few other high end guitars hanging on the wall. He even gave me the receipt showing he paid $5,500 for it a year prior.

As bad as I felt for lowballing him like that, I mean that, the guy thanked me several times for helping him out in a pinch. Even after I got home, he followed up to make sure I was happy with it and again thanked me.

Come to think of it, I should lowball more often. :laugh2:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the free market.

People will (as encouraged by our society) always try to pay the lowest possible price for anything. OTOH, the same people are (as encouraged by our society) always asking the highest possible price for everything.

Those that have butturt over this, ask yourself this: Do you always pay the asking price, when you buy an item? And, when you are selling an item, do you always list your item at the lowest price that you are willing to accept?

Imma guessing NO.

Free market...
/thread

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Can we all agree that everybody will stop accusing everybody else of being “butthurt” every time they disagree with something? Everybody whips that word out like they’re the first one that thought of it. It’s no longer original, and way overused on this site.

Last edited:

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
Can we all agree that everybody will stop accusing everybody else of being “butthurt” every time they disagree with something? Everybody whips that word out like they’re the first one that thought of it. It’s no longer original, and way overused on this site.
Someone here butthurt over butturt?

cheers