What do you call nibs on a Chibson?

scott 351 wins

Reaction score
I sent him a message telling him he should be ashamed of himself for trying to rip off somebody. I doubt that will deter him but atleast I let him know he's not fooling some people.

scott 351 wins

Reaction score
My Google account was disabled shortly after sending him that message...... strange

scott 351 wins

Reaction score
Ah wow! Thought the guy blocked you some way...
No it was disabled. I had to verify the account by changing the password. Its good now. Just weird it happened after I sent him that message.

larryguitar

Reaction score
Hmmm, nope.

Truss rod cover it's touching the nut in every modern Les Paul Custom, so that is not a fake flag no.

While the bottom of a two screw truss rod may touch the nut, there is substantial space on either side where the holly (or whatever they're using now) overlay is visible. On many counterfeits, the truss rod is installed in a routed slot, and the truss rod cover must be altered to hide the slot in the headstock as it exits beneath the nut.

Here's a pic-
fake-gibson-truss-rod-cover-comparison.jpg

Because this represents a fairly substantial process change (drilling the overlay, rather than routing a single slot) it was a fairly good way to spot counterfeits (up until now, apparently.)

Surprised you didn't know this....

Larry

PierM

Reaction score
While the bottom of a two screw truss rod may touch the nut, there is substantial space on either side where the holly (or whatever they're using now) overlay is visible. On many counterfeits, the truss rod is installed in a routed slot, and the truss rod cover must be altered to hide the slot in the headstock as it exits beneath the nut.

Here's a pic-
fake-gibson-truss-rod-cover-comparison.jpg

Because this represents a fairly substantial process change (drilling the overlay, rather than routing a single slot) it was a fairly good way to spot counterfeits (up until now, apparently.)

Surprised you didn't know this....

Larry

The OP Truss Rod Cover it's not altered in any way, in fact, it's an original after market Gibson part.

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
The inlay on the headstock is also much better. All of the lines are parallel and not off axis like on other headstocks I've seen. It's placement is also better. I would never notice something like the nut as someone mentioned and I'm still working to recognize the correct knob placement.

Some of you guys are really good at spotting these things. The fakers are getting better too unfortunately.

judson

Reaction score
dinkleberries

tiny pieces of lingering shit originated from a bigger piece of shit

its in the dictionary

warmachine

Reaction score
What really gets annoying and of great concern are those who buy these fakes knowing what they are, and then pop in genuine Gibson electronics or other genuine hardware and play em. We all know eventually these guitars will get dumped off months or years later. Even if they sell it off honestly as a Chibson copy some future buyer is gonna get taken intentionally or unintentionally.

John Vasco

I was with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There's still enough wrong, to tell it's fake.

The main being:

1.) Real Customs have MOP inlays. Not swirled acrylic

2.) Most Customs (aside from a very limited run, done a couple of years ago) have either Ebony, or Richlite fretboards. While most, if not all of the fakes have Rosewood

3) Serial number begins with the famous: 02005

Rick

Reaction score
What really gets annoying and of great concern are those who buy these fakes knowing what they are, and then pop in genuine Gibson electronics or other genuine hardware and play em. We all know eventually these guitars will get dumped off months or years later. Even if they sell it off honestly as a Chibson copy some future buyer is gonna get taken intentionally or unintentionally.
This is why I can't stand all the losers on Reddit and YouTube posting their Chibsons. Even though they fully admit it, the problem is that guitar is likely to end up in circulation (by someone even if not the original buyer) as a real Gibson.

Latest Threads