What did i just buy? Possible 50s jr?

deadlyweasel

Reaction score
Title says it all... Dang ebaying got me again. Something about this stood out to me as being a possible 50s jr modded to hell and refinished. So I'll let y'all spoil it for me:rofl:
Here are crappy pawnshop eBay screen shots.
Screenshot_2019-08-07-13-58-17.png
Screenshot_2019-08-07-13-58-26.png
Screenshot_2019-08-07-13-58-21.png
Screenshot_2019-08-07-13-58-10.png
Screenshot_2019-08-07-13-58-13.png

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Reaction score
Interesting that it says "Les Paul SPECIAL," but doesn't have an inlaid Gibson logo. I guess the Special silk screen could have been applied as part of the refin and other routing.

I'm assuming the serial number was destroyed in the process as well?

deadlyweasel

Reaction score
Appears to have vintage style strap buttons. Pot codes read something in the 90s.

Pete M

Reaction score
Well it sure looks like a 50's junior. What pickups did it come with? I'm not seeing any pickguard screw holes, so I'm a bit dubious about the opaque top finish.

deadlyweasel

Reaction score
I managed to find the screwhole for the guard on the horn but it has definitely been filled in with lacquer or something. The pickups are unknown. They had nothing in the listing about them just that it works.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
It just seems odd why someone would go through the trouble to convert a Junior to a Special with humbuckers like that. They would have had to remove the "JUNIOR" screen print from the headstock and replace with "SPECIAL". Then the routing to change P-90 to two humbuckers, routing the control cavity from two pots to four pots. It would have been easier to trade a Junior in for a Special if you ask me.

StudioFan

Reaction score
I was bidding on this for a bit .

Good for you I knew what it was just couldn’t do it

I bet it has early patent sticker humbuckers .

Pot date 78 or something ..

Last edited:

CosmicCowboy

Reaction score
Could it be a modded Special Singlecut? Those control cavities look pretty clean to have been a hack job.

deadlyweasel

Reaction score
Could it be a modded Special Singlecut? Those control cavities look pretty clean to have been a hack job.
It's definitely a Jr convert. No MoP inlay, no binding. If you look carefully at the control route you can see where the original cavity route was, and the screw holes from a Jr pickguard. It's gonna be a Hell of a project for sure. Final decisions will be made once I get it in hand and pulled apart. My first thought on it though was a TV special Refinish and leave the humbuckers in.

Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
Following this thread, what an awesome find:hmm:

Kinda like a junior thats value was underestimated but it always had played very well and the owner who converted that gigged it hard and needed it as a special....

Whoever did the conversion work and touch ups bravo.. The neck repair looks later... The very best of them have had the neck break, yours is due for some TLC. Congrats on the win looks like golden era up top still!

Maybe you can touch up the neck break yourself get it singing then keep it as a special with that no pickguard patina..

Then later on do a sweeet junior restoration, imo investigate if it was a refinish, use a blacklight, hope you get the serial stamp to confirm at some point if you restore it as a 50s Gibson, good luck with that old yeller..

How to Date a Gibson Using Serial Numbers, FONs and Logos https://reverb.com/news/how-to-date-a-gibson-using-serial-numbers-fons-and-logos?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=share

Last edited:

61LPSG

Reaction score
Nice score :cheers2:

I'd take that ole girl.
Took me a few minutes to figure out how they cut the channel for the switch, and neck pickup.

Latest Threads