What current models have 57 paf? Pics

RMLamey

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased this Les Paul that was an Gibson employee guitar. So there was some mystery in the exact configuration on pickups etc. When I swapped the pickup rings to cream I checked the pickups and pickup cavitys (see pics) .

I was pleasantly surprised when I checked the back of the pickups, 57 and 57+. I've got others with SD a2, and 490s in my Tribute so was happy to see something different.

Any how my question is are the 57s used on any specific models? And for those that have them, what's your thoughts ? My playing so hacky it don't much matter just curious.

Screenshot_20211005-180902_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211005-180931_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211005-180941_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211005-180923_Gallery.jpg

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I had them on my 2016 LP Traditional. I did not like them at all because they were harsh/thin. I swapped them out.

Some people love 57's, some hate them.... just like everything else.

RMLamey

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Traditionals had them most years leading up to their discontinuation.

The current 50's Standard model comes stock with them.
Thanks, that makes sense. I looked at several models specs but couldn't find it. Not that it matters, was just curious.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I had them on my 2016 LP Traditional. I did not like them at all because they were harsh. I swapped them out.

Some people love 57's, some hate them.... just like everything else.
I've owned 5 Traditionals over the last 6 years. Every one of them came with 57 Classics and I immediately disliked them and swapped them out on every one.

I recently acquired a pair (57, 57+) in a partial trade and decided to give them a try after all these years of disliking them and I have to say, they are absolutely fantastic pickups.

I've tried many Gibson models, Dimarzio models, Duncans, etc, etc and I find it kind of funny that these 57s were right under my nose the whole time and came with many of my guitars and yet I was so adamant I didn't like them. I spent thousands on other pickups over the years.

I just recently bought a set of 57s, both positions are the 57, no plus in the bridge, and I'm really loving them. At 2/32nds on both sides the neck pup has a big piano like timber but remains clear. I love it.

This is all personal taste of course, just my opinion.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Thanks, that makes sense. I looked at several models specs but couldn't find it. Not that it matters, was just curious.
I was wrong about the current 50s Standard. They have burstbuckers.

Other models in the past that came with 57s were the limited edition Japanese market flying V, and 2016 (I believe) 339s.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I've owned 5 Traditionals over the last 6 years. Every one of them came with 57 Classics and I immediately disliked them and swapped them out on every one.

I recently acquired a pair (57, 57+) in a partial trade and decided to give them a try after all these years of disliking them and I have to say, they are absolutely fantastic pickups.

I've tried many Gibson models, Dimarzio models, Duncans, etc, etc and I find it kind of funny that these 57s were right under my nose the whole time and came with many of my guitars and yet I was so adamant I didn't like them. I spent thousands on other pickups over the years.

I just recently bought a set of 57s, both positions are the 57, no plus in the bridge, and I'm really loving them. At 2/32nds on both sides the neck pup has a big piano like timber but remains clear. I love it.

This is all personal taste of course, just my opinion.
Maybe the 57s just didn't work in those other guitars. The Trad I replaced the 57s in.... I initially tried a DiMarzio Norton in the bridge position, because that pickup sound KILLER in another Lester I have. In the Trad it sounded nasty... too bass heavy. Next I tried a DiMarzio Transition and that sounds amazing. It sure seems that different guitars respond different to the same pickup, even among seemingly identical guitar models.

Saiko

Reaction score
The only current models are special runs (such as the one Sweetwater has).

'57 Classics were also used in all of the reissues from (i think) 1990 through the early 2000's when the Burstbuckers took their place. The early pre-Burstbucker '57 Classics were also made differently than the later ones and some people think they sound better. I like '57 Classics and have a set in one of my guitars but I still prefer the Burstbuckers and Tim Shaws that I have in other guitars as far as PAF-style Gibson pickups are concerned.

Last edited:

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Maybe the 57s just didn't work in those other guitars. The Trad I replaced the 57s in.... I initially tried a DiMarzio Norton in the bridge position, because that pickup sound KILLER in another Lester I have. In the Trad it sounded nasty... too bass heavy. Next I tried a DiMarzio Transition and that sounds amazing. It sure seems that different guitars respond different to the same pickup, even among seemingly identical guitar models.
I definitely agree. Some pickups work with some guitar's voices and other don't.

Years ago I swapped a pair of 57s for a pair of Duncan Whole Lotta Humbuckers in one of my 2013 Trads. They sounded fantastic.

A few months ago I bought a set of WLHs and dropped them in my 2016 Traditional and they were dark, woofy and uninspiring. Same models, same woods, same hardware, same strings. Only different is the 2016 has 9 holes drilled out, the 2013 doesn't. I highly doubt that alone is responsible for the difference I heard.

jbash

Reaction score
2014 and 2015 Trads came with 59 Tributes. After that until the buyout and introduction of the original series, I'm unsure.

The only Les Paul I've seen of late with them are the AAA Standard 50s from Sweetwater, and there is an underwound version in the latest Lee Roy Parnell custom shop guitar

FWIW- I'm a fan of standard 57s (not the "plus" or "super 57") in the right guitar and with proper electronics. Definitely not a super sweet authentic PAF type, but they make a great late 60s/70s hard rock pickup.

dmac in SC

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2019 Classic Lite has them. They need to be high, close to the strings or they are dullsville ... but when set up right, they sound as good as anything I have.

RMLamey

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2019 Classic Lite has them. They need to be high, close to the strings or they are dullsville ... but when set up right, they sound as good as anything I have.
I was messing around last night and found the same thing.

RMLamey

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the 57s - ive got em in my custom classic and sg standard
I like them so far, tweaking height seems to make big differences. Do I like them as much as my Seymour Duncan A2 pros, no ... not yet anyway.

Last edited:

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
My 2010 Trad Pro has 57 Classic (neck) and BB3 (bridge). Both great pickups.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I like them so far, tweaking height seems to make big differences. Do I like them as much as my Seymour Duncan A2 pros, no ... not yet anyway.
I have an LP currently with an APH2 set and another with 57 Classics. The APH2s are definitely more expressive, clear, and focused - with more upper mids.

While the 57s are smoother, they can be a bit too dark and less defined, and may risk getting lost in a mix. They're very suitable for jazz.

The APH2s are still very smooth, but with great presence, clarity, and definition. The middle really honks and when it comes to playing lead lines on the neck pickup, there's zero competition between the two.

They're nice for different reasons, but the APH2 are some of the nicest pickups I've ever heard and are much more versatile. They're a pure vintage sound with a touch of modern spice.

Reaction score
2016 Classic has 57 and 57+ uncovered.

Was no official Classic in 2016 but was "exclusive" to a few chains (PMT and Anderton in the UK I believe)

Plain top, two tones and two volumes, no push/pull pots or other frills, £1500.

Mine's Heritage Cherry Burst, but is more chestnut than cherry.

Latest Threads