What collectible Les Paul should I buy now?

AJK1

Reaction score
I just bought a Silverburst which seems to be collectible and fairly rare so what other Les Paul would be a good investment for a budget of $4500 USD
I already have a White Custom and a R9 60th
I’m in Australia by the way
I like plain top R8 cherry’s
And I also saw a Mint Les Paul Supreme that looked interesting but I’ll take any suggestions
Cheers

Last edited:

RuneDanmark

Reaction score
What is a good investment?

Have you set a goal for yourself about what a good investment is?

And are you honest about what the cost are for a keeping something for years or maybe even decades?

Deftone

Reaction score
I bought my Charvel Model 2 for $200, I'm sure I can get $500 or more now.
Flying V Faded, $500, I'm seeing them at $1K or more now.
'14 LP Standard 120 Flame Top was $1600, I'm seeing them listed over $2500 now.
Ibanez S420 was $235...$400+ no problem.
'67 SG jr (modded) for $890......?
I bought a brand new SG Faded in '02 for $479.....they are going for $1K now
I passed on a '79 Strat for $1200 a few years ago on here...numbers matched. I blew it.
I can go on....

Find the right guitar for a good deal and it's a good investment. Plus, you get to play it. I play all of mine. Love them. Even if I break even I came out ahead.

I'd wait a bit. Our economy is headed into the toilet and prices might drop. AUS YMMV.

Phil W

Reaction score
As has been stated; guitars are no longer a sensible investment unless they have extremely auspicious provenance and even then prices are declining as those who remember the rock era fade away. The market is awash with 2nd hand guitars and unless you get very lucky then you will lose money. Buy a musical instrument to PLAY it ...

Deftone

Reaction score
I wish I had bought a few Norlins 10 years ago....luckily I got my '79 LPC just before prices went through the roof.

Red Beard

Reaction score
Well sounds like you have some nice Les Pauls
Maybe its time to start a vintage amp collection or switch up your models
You ever try an Explorer or 335’s
Maybe a nice P90 Special or Jr
What sound do you prefer or neck shape,,,i hope you play them or you just collect them

BayouGTR

Reaction score
Gold Top. As old and in best condition that you can afford. The Wine Red suggestion would
be a good idea too.

Last edited:

AJK1

Reaction score
Well sounds like you have some nice Les Pauls
Maybe its time to start a vintage amp collection or switch up your models
You ever try an Explorer or 335’s
Maybe a nice P90 Special or Jr
What sound do you prefer or neck shape,,,i hope you play them or you just collect them
Yep I play every guitar I own and don’t have a girlfriend or wife so I get to buy what I want and play a lot hehe

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I wish I had bought a few Norlins 10 years ago....luckily I got my '79 LPC just before prices went through the roof.
Can attest to that now that i’m looking for one. I wonder how long they’ll keep climbing before the price settles or comes down, assuming it does.

bryvincent

Reaction score
a cs reissue with a brazilian board is your best bet i think.

AJK1

Reaction score
Yep I think I’ll get an R8 with very plain cherry top, love that look

1all's Pub

Reaction score
A plaintop Cherry R8 is hard to argue with... buuuuuuut... how about something with P90s? Like a TV Yellow Special? Maybe not super “collectible” unless you get a CS one, but definitely cool. For that matter, you could get a P90’d R4 or R6 (GT would be cool). :cheers:

This way you have something tonally different too.

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
From a LPC lover to another, how about a Black Beauty '57 Reissue with a single piece mahogany body? Certainly a nice addition to the herd.

mjross

Reaction score
Probably better investments out there but if you are looking for a guitar that will maintain its value, I’d get a nice “59” Reissue. Hey, but that’s just me!

smk506

Reaction score
I think it depends on what you mean by investment. Looking for next big thing to appreciate and go through the roof?

Total crapshoot.

Looking for a pretty safe place to park some money for awhile, and enjoy it at the same time?

Cool guitars can do that. The only real requirement is to know what you’re looking at and buy low so you can sell average and still come out ahead.

Latest Threads