What changes a good guitar player?

JTM45

Premium Member
Reaction score
I was listening to some lynch mob tonight and I went on a YouTube bunny trail for quite a while looking at Lynch through the years.

He’s had so many bands now I can’t keep up anymore and his tone has gone to shit, I’m not saying George is slacking in any way and he’s by far in my top 3 players but is it age or the fact that he’s been in so many bands that changed him? Does it happen to all great players?

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Shitty songwriting. Any guitar player that throws a chord progression together to shred over, and calls it a song, is ruining themselves. Especially when he gets a high pitched singer to scream/yodel along with it...

Last edited:

Malikon

she's so heavy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was listening to some lynch mob tonight and I went on a YouTube bunny trail for quite a while looking at Lynch through the years.

He’s had so many bands now I can’t keep up anymore and his tone has gone to shit, I’m not saying George is slacking in any way and he’s by far in my top 3 players but is it age or the fact that he’s been in so many bands that changed him? Does it happen to all great players?
Ears change as you age i think. You lose some frequencies and i think other tones and sounds start appealing.

I noticed Metallica and Yngwie used to be more distorted. Now they're a bit twangier and cleaner sounding.

Maybe you just get tired of hearing the same sound year after year.

I know in my experience "twang" has started sounding better over the years

JTM45

Premium Member
Reaction score
Probably should have named it something like the art of Tone or something, it was just a random thought really

Rotorhead

Reaction score
Drugs

Bitches

Music company executives

Scramble the order to apply to the individual.

Rotorhead

Reaction score
You also have to plan for the future when you're young.

Luckily, I realized I sucked way back in my teens and then bar band days. Realizing that I probably wouldn't turn out to be the next Hendrix or Van Halen, I purposely remained of average ability to avoid that crashing and crushing embarrassment of being considered over the hill long into my over the hill days.

These days, I'm just as bad as in my teens, but happy as no one is saying I've lost my touch ;)

rogue3

Reaction score
Change. ever present,though in the moment we tend to forget it will happen.

mal pretty much nailed it,i think.

My musical appreciation of Lynch was around 1988.As the fret burner for Dokken,he was in his prime.I actually preferred his tone on the first album, before he started playing so many notes, but still i liked his evolution over that period,and his sound.I even have a lynch instructional VHS video.his technique...

I was such a fan,i bought all 5 Dokken albums.but the music itself is a one-hit wonder. I've not played them in years.I got the Lynch Mob album,but i seldom played it. Janes Addiction,RHCP came along and the music was far more interesting to me.

I thought crossing Lynch and Dokken with a Nightmare on Elm Street 3 was a good fit.I liked his tone.A large commercial success...gave them exposure.And i was a huge fan then too of the Nightmare series.When the 2 came together,i wasn't surprised at the excellent fit.

his tone is in the fingers.sometimes the fingers don't work so well anymore.

He used to use old Marshalls, and his tone was great,to these ears.Once you get into those multi pre-amp stage distortion amps,tone goes out the window. sloppy fretwork is hidden.Slow slide.my opinion only as a player.

I listen to old tapes i have,of me playing live.I don't have that facility anymore...it takes a lot of work!

But i have tone.Touch. But today,i play clean.It just appeals to my ear so much more....musical.That change thing.At home.Playing live...live tone, is on a whole 'nuther level.
I understand now why Bluesmen loved the Twin Reverb.For the clean,and the tone.Its up to the fingers with that amp.

I was watching a vid with Phil X. He was talking about how being a father has made a big dent in his playing time.He talked about how he mastered the Highway Star riffs...sitting on the couch watching TV late at night,slowly repeating the sequences...while watching TV, till he got it down.
For me,thats it.Life takes time from you.Time is the enemy.

Quality time with your kids cannot be retrieved.Playing ability can be...health not-withstanding.

Last edited:

JTM45

Premium Member
Reaction score
Change. ever present,though in the moment we tend to forget it will happen.

mal pretty much nailed it,i think.

My musical appreciation of Lynch was around 1988.As the fret burner for Dokken,he was in his prime.I actually preferred his tone on the first album, before he started playing so many notes, but still i liked his evolution over that period,and his sound.I even have a lynch instructional VHS video.his technique...

I was such a fan,i bought all 5 Dokken albums.but the music itself is a one-hit wonder. I've not played them in years.I got the Lynch Mob album,but i seldom played it. Janes Addiction,RHCP came along and the music was far more interesting to me.

I thought crossing Lynch and Dokken with a Nightmare on Elm Street 3 was a good fit.I liked his tone.A large commercial success...gave them exposure.And i was a huge fan then too of the Nightmare series.When the 2 came together,i wasn't surprised at the excellent fit.

his tone is in the fingers.sometimes the fingers don't work so well anymore.

He used to use old Marshalls, and his tone was great,to these ears.Once you get into those multi pre-amp stage distortion amps,tone goes out the window. sloppy fretwork is hidden.Slow slide.my opinion only as a player.

I listen to old tapes i have,of me playing live.I don't have that facility anymore...it takes a lot of work!

But i have tone.Touch. But today,i play clean.It just appeals to my ear so much more....musical.That change thing.At home.Playing live...live tone, is on a whole 'nuther level.
I understand now why Bluesmen loved the Twin Reverb.For the clean,and the tone.Its up to the fingers with that amp.

I was watching a vid with Phil X. He was talking about how being a father has made a big dent in his playing time.He talked about how he mastered the Highway Star riffs...sitting on the couch watching TV late at night,slowly repeating the sequences...while watching TV, till he got it down.
For me,thats it.Life takes time from you.Time is the enemy.

Quality time with your kids cannot be retrieved.Playing ability can be...health not-withstanding.
Well said man, the marshall tone and the SLO tones were superb to me, my ears love the definition of an amp and not a lot of fizz and fuzz that you hear now a days

JTM45

Premium Member
Reaction score
Def Leppard hasn’t been relevant since Steve died

Last edited:

Latest Threads