What causes pedal microphonics? Solved!

scooter500

Reaction score
Well, probably a 1,000 things, but what some of the most common culprits & solutions?

scooter500

Reaction score
What pedal is this?
Sadly my Old Nobel's ODR-1. Worked great at home. Arrived early to church to set up. PA was on but no one was playing, just me & my Vox on one side all by ourselves. The pedal sounded like a ring generator.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Sadly my Old Nobel's ODR-1. Worked great at home. Arrived early to church to set up. PA was on but no one was playing, just me & my Vox on one side all by ourselves. The pedal sounded like a ring generator.

Ok..Off Topic..Because you were at church I know you weren't referring to the One Ring of Hobbit / Mordor infamy so what pray tell is a " ring generator?
BP

scooter500

Reaction score
Ok..Off Topic..Because you were at church I know you weren't referring to the One Ring of Hobbit / Mordor infamy so what pray tell is a " ring generator?
BP
well, ring generators in Mordor are indeed horrible and terrifying, but here they merely generate uninteresting noises to test bygone POTS. =D maybe the dark side got to my pedal. =O

garybaldy

Reaction score
I have one one of those. It's currently on my board last in the chain as a cleanish boost for when the rest of the band is drowning out my searing (or probably mediocre) solos. Fortunately I have yet to experience the same problem you are having.

scooter500

Reaction score
I have one one of those. It's currently on my board last in the chain as a cleanish boost for when the rest of the band is drowning out my searing (or probably mediocre) solos. Fortunately I have yet to experience the same problem you are having.
I'm gonna have to try it one more time at the church, but with all the equipment off. Maybe I can determine what the pedal is picking up: Electric drums, keyboard, wireless mics, another guitar player, a wireless display, huge speakers, phones, remotes, kitchen appliances, lots of florescent lights...

morbidalex666

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to try it one more time at the church, but with all the equipment off. Maybe I can determine what the pedal is picking up: Electric drums, keyboard, wireless mics, another guitar player, a wireless display, huge speakers, phones, remotes, kitchen appliances, lots of florescent lights...
If you don't here a microphonic squeal, my guess is it's not microphonics.
So agreed. I'd look in the power supply or thereof the distribution of it and then the groundin situation.
Maybe try running a battery.
I had a similar problem with my TS-9 reissue, but only when the guitar volume was on 0 for some reason.

scooter500

Reaction score
If you don't here a microphonic squeal, my guess is it's not microphonics.
So agreed. I'd look in the power supply or thereof the distribution of it and then the groundin situation.
Maybe try running a battery.
I had a similar problem with my TS-9 reissue, but only when the guitar volume was on 0 for some reason.
Battery and guitar volume... those are pretty easy ones to try, thanks!!! :fingersx:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Are you daisy-chaining? I used to chain a BOSS TU-2 tuner with an EHX Soul Food and got horrible background noise. Something about a 'charge-pump' in the SF.

scooter500

Reaction score
I can wax pot it for you.
Tempting
Are you daisy-chaining? I used to chain a BOSS TU-2 tuner with an EHX Soul Food and got horrible background noise. Something about a 'charge-pump' in the SF.
No, using a n mxr power block.

Tried my same set today and no problem. Didn't need to use battery and guitar volume didn't cause problems. Who knows!

scooter500

Reaction score
Problems were caused a worn input jack on my ODR-1... doesn't matter which brand of patch cable is used b/c the input jack can't latch on to the tip ring. I'll have to be careful when playing. Or fix it but that would be like work!

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Problems were caused a worn input jack on my ODR-1... doesn't matter which brand of patch cable is used b/c the input jack can't latch on to the tip ring. I'll have to be careful when playing. Or fix it but that would be like work!
Did you try giving the jack a cleaning?

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I take a small piece of HIGH number (800+) paper, roll it, spray it with D5, and rotate just a few times in the input jack barrel, then clean out with qtips... Cleans the gunk but not abrasive enough to hurt the plating... Then a clean qtip wet with D5 and run it back in also far enough to hit the tip contact spring and spin it a couple times..

scooter500

Reaction score
Did you try giving the jack a cleaning?
Guess I could give that a try, thx

I take a small piece of HIGH number (800+) paper, roll it, spray it with D5, and rotate just a few times in the input jack barrel, then clean out with qtips... Cleans the gunk but not abrasive enough to hurt the plating... Then a clean qtip wet with D5 and run it back in also far enough to hit the tip contact spring and spin it a couple times..
That would do it!
A dirty dirt pedal is unacceptable!

Reactions: ehb

Latest Threads