What Causes GAS?

Pennyman

Reaction score
GAS is simple to explain.

It's all about the belief - however irrational, however illogical... that new gear will make you a better player.

^ Fact.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score

It's all about the belief - however irrational, however illogical... that new gear will make you a better player.

^ Fact.

Not fact - opinion.

Maybe that's true for some, but certainly not for everyone. I buy different guitars to get different sounds and to find inspiration - when one guitar isn't inspiring me, sometimes picking up a different one will do it and lead me to places that another one wouldn't have.

Buying gear isn't always about believing that it will somehow make one play better, it's more often about finding the right tool for the job. I own more than one screwdriver; why wouldn't I own more than one guitar?

Svet

Reaction score
N'uh uh!
I'd got me paws all over 'em in the eighties and they wuz round n perky.
<--- One-handed expert by second date.
I sure remember those Playtex type "Lift 'n' separate" adverts from the 60's though.
:D

lol, by the time I was ready for pocket play I was boob watching the sqiggly lines on playboy!! Ohhhh there's a nipple!!!

acstorfer

Reaction score

^ Fact.
There aren't any extremely talented and extremely successful guitarists that have massive collections? I love this forum! I learn something new all of the time :).

Shelbyblues

Reaction score
Don't know what necessarily causes it, maybe the thrill of the chase is some of it. I got burned out on it a long time ago, and I'm glad I did. After the honeymoon was over it was just another guitar/amp sitting around.

I finally realized the gear I already have is pro quality that one could take anywhere and make a living with. I switched gears and modified some of my current gear that I like, to personalize it and get what I was after.

It worked for me but might not for everyone.

Jakeislove

Reaction score

^ Fact.

At one point Joe Bonamassa owned over 400 guitars and he probably has 4 or 5 '59s. Why begrudge mere mortals a few toys? :)

NRBQ

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhuL79iEWDo]The Who- I Can&#39;t Explain - YouTube[/ame]

JSB MD

Reaction score
The quest for tone!
Last year I fried an old Ampeg. I was ampless. My son loaned me an old solid state Behringer practice amp someone gave him. I plugged in a Les Paul copy and turned it up all the way. There was something there at that moment. Laugh if you want. Sometimes you already have what you are looking for.

JSB MD

Reaction score
Cure for GAS?
A wife. Only new guitar or amp I get is with a contest or complex shell game.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Having GAS for more gear is sometimes irrational and sometimes not. Sometimes GAS arises because you aren't getting the tone and/or playability you want out of the gear you've got. I have 12 guitars, three amps, and a bunch of FX. But if I had originally bought my fave electric, fave acoustic, fave amp, and fave three FX at the beginning, those are all I'd have now.

Latest Threads