What CAP should I use?

hostileto

Reaction score
.02 MFD 600 vdc cornell dubilier is what I have in there which is weird old and not sure if it belongS in guitar - I get weird cutting out tinny sound randomly SO.... what cap should I get. Its a PRS handwounded MFD treble pickup using a taper 500k pot.

I think is cap has gone bad. What should I get and where can I get a a good one?
Thanks

ARandall

Reaction score
Type is somewhat irrelevant, value is important. Your current value is a stock sort of middle ground for humbuckers. If you want to change the tone a bit, then larger values are darker (both in a small way at 10, then much more as you turn down).

But the tone circuit does not make the sound cut out.....if thats what you're saying. If you have a tone circuit failure then you'd get a more cutting bright tone....and perhaps it would be fractionally louder as the pickup would be slightly unloaded. None of the guitars I have a tone cut on (or no load pot) makes the tone tinny.
I'd try disconnecting the tone circuit first and seeing if that really is the cause.

hostileto

Reaction score
I figure to keep .02 The cap that I have is from the 50s which I read some caps can go bad over time. I want to keep a good range as higher you go the more "muddy' it sounds I have a prs standard no maple so its not snappy or quacky like a strat. its dark as is. Just want to know which cap would fit best in the PRS - I bit of a cork sniffer with this guitar. MDH pickup sounds great

Roxy13

Reaction score
Usually caps drift up over time. The best way to know really if the cap itself is bad is to measure it with a multimeter. I have a feeling your problem might be more a pot or just a bad solder joint.

hostileto

Reaction score
I've shaking the components in the cavity and no crackly or odd pops. Its like the current works then just doesn't. No reason its weird. Any one have recommendations on what cap to get?

ARandall

Reaction score
Any cap will do.
There are quite literally no rules to this.....If it's too dark to your ears, buy a smaller value cap (a higher tone pot k reading also does the same thing).
Too bright, go the other way.

You can often find bundles of various cap values for sale. I've used anything from .1uf to .0001 in guitars.

Latest Threads