What can you tell me about this?

Tanqueray

Reaction score
I found a 1999 Gibson SG Standard on consignment in a local music shop and I figured I'd come here and get some more information about it.

1. I want to make sure it's not a counterfeit guitar. I've attached some photos of it. Let me know if you need more.

2. What pickups and pots come standard with this?

3. It's in pretty nice condition. There are a couple of scratches and dings on it, but nothing that it wouldn't incur through normal use over the past 15 years. They're asking $750 for it plus the hard case. Is that fair, or should I try to talk them down?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

68goldtop

Reaction score
Hi!

It looks legit to me.
Pretty sure it came with the 490/498 pickups AND a hardcase.
Not sure about the pots... but most likely CTS with audio-taper tone-pots and linear-taper volume-pots.

I´d say the price is fair WITH the hardcase, and "almost" fair without the case ;)

cheers - 68.

Tanqueray

Reaction score
I've heard good things about 90s les pauls. Does the same apply to SGs?

GitFiddle

Reaction score
I've heard good things about 90s les pauls. Does the same apply to SGs?
That's a very sweet looking SG. I have a 99 Goldtop R7 that I got used a few years ago. It is immaculate. I couldn't find a flaw on it. Very well made and incredible to play.

At the time I found my R7, I was listening to Derek Trucks and went out looking for an SG. I looked at a new one (around 2010 or 2011) at Sam Ash.

Right off the bat I noticed a very small chunk of wood chipped off of the neck/fingerboard where it joined the body. But the finish was still applied over the flaw. They were asking $1100 and I offered $900. The best they would do was $1000. I passed on it, then found my used R7 a few days later.

FWIW, I love my 99 LP. :thumb:

If I was still looking for an SG, I would jump on that one in a heartbeat.

weatherking

Reaction score
I agree with what 68goldtop said. Looks legit. I imagine it would have the same specs as the 2000s SGs with large pick guards...490R/498T, 300K volume pots, 500K tone pots. $750 with the hard case is a fair deal for a guitar that old. You could get a similar deal on eBay, maybe in the $700-750 range, but you'd risk having the guitar destroyed in shipping. I say go for it.

Latest Threads