What bugs me about some relics for sale.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Premium Member
Reaction score
My last (of 10) GMs gave me a beautiful Std. Premium Plus top in amber (I was leaving after 14 years, and had a baby on the way and it was a sweet gesture from a nice guy)....... that night the local bar was having it's weekly jam and we all went (like we always did - the "Gibson Guys" were known for partying and jamming hard)......

We were doing "Rock and Roll"..... I was doing the lead and smoking it too..... up on a chair, up onto a table.... the crowd is loving it. Then the table top broke from the center post and down I went....more like skiing down the table top to the floor.

I never stopped playing, never even lost my place.... it happened so quickly, but after the song was over I noticed a nice chip on the outside of the cutaway.... not only was I not pissed, to me it was a great reminder of a hellacious, fun night of beer and loud rock. Even if I had paid for the LP it (to me) was still RnR mojo. A battle wound, if you will.

Epilogue: Hated selling it when I did, but the Dad of a player in an East Coast band who just had their gear stolen purchased it for his son and I got to follow them online and see that guitar get more live action love (including on a street corner at SWSX)....I asked if I could buy it back but he said it had become his #1 and he wanted to keep it. I can only imagine how cool that bad boy looks by now.
Battle scars that tell a story are the best way to relic a guitar. I once threw my LP down in a fit of rage thinking the pickups were shot. Turns out a pedal on my board went haywire and killed my signal. It's a miracle the headstock didn't break. My telecaster has scars on the headstock from bashing cymbals during a particularly fun gig.

scott1970

Reaction score
RELICS ARE FOR POSERS

That's a load of crap.

A good relic job gives a guitar a warm, appreciated look. I believe it actually encourages owners to use guitars for what they were intended, making music. I'm a firm believer in this as are other members of MLP.

I've taken my appreciation for the relic'd look a little further than others, though. I recently purchased a brand new Ford Mustang GT and took advantage of a very limited Bullit relic upgrade option. I hate to admit the upgrade set me back an additional 6k, but Ford's attention to detail on the fender is simply amazing and worth every penny.

splatter

Reaction score
Says the guy with a glowing red guitar with a gold floyd rose... :laugh2:
yep a long way from a relic , so if it ever does look like a relic it will be from honest play wear .Not because I bought it that way so it would look like I play it a lot. I doubt it ever will look that way though cause I take very good care of my gear. Granted some of the gold is wearing off but that can't be helped