What bugs me about some relics for sale.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Had a Strat in the shop for setup that the guy took a torch to and looked like a damn grinder.... Funny thing is, at least he didn't dick the neck... Once I set it up, it is a fantastic neck and the body looks like whale shit caught up in a nuke....

Things that make you go 'Whut?'.....

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I like strats that look beat to shit. Acoustics I like pristine.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
I like strats that look beat to shit. Acoustics I like pristine.
depending on how you play an acoustic ( if using finger style with nails . or percussive technique ) , it's close to impossible to keep one in pristine condition . especially if the top is a soft wood , like the cedar on a Seagull S6

personally . I don't think that any guitars should be handled with " kid gloves " . even a top of the line Martin . they're meant to be played

Reactions: ehb

smk506

Reaction score
When they come out looking right, they look great, when they don’t, they don’t.

I’ve seen very few good looking (imo) Nash relics, I’ve never seen a bad looking Rosser.

The trend of painting a sunburst, then covering it in a solid color and scraping back to reveal solid color, some sunburst and a bunch of bare wood looks awful to me though, especially when Gibson does it for some reason. That needs to stop, they look ridiculous and it’s like they said to themselves, ‘well fender is doing it so...’

DMartini

Reaction score
@Weywerdson - thats Tom Wittrocks GI Paul yeah?

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
When they come out looking right, they look great, when they don’t, they don’t.

I’ve seen very few good looking (imo) Nash relics, I’ve never seen a bad looking Rosser.

The trend of painting a sunburst, then covering it in a solid color and scraping back to reveal solid color, some sunburst and a bunch of bare wood looks awful to me though, especially when Gibson does it for some reason. That needs to stop, they look ridiculous and it’s like they said to themselves, ‘well fender is doing it so...’
And they had the stones to ask a ton of $$$ for those too.

RAG7890

Reaction score
Apart from my 2 x Replicas (which have very authentic aging for GT’s) all my Guitars are new Gloss.

:cheers2:

P.S. Play authentic.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had to refinish this Deluxe, some of my buddies thought I should have left it alone. I didn't like the look at all.

View attachment 425149
IMO, that top is just a little too plain.

I'd mix up some #56 Crescent bronzing powder in lacquer and have at it.

TheX

just some do0d
Premium Member
Reaction score
IMO, that top is just a little too plain.

I'd mix up some #56 Crescent bronzing powder in lacquer and have at it.
I used Reranch bronze. The guitar was built in '73 as a goldtop.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What bugs me are seeing "cookie cutter" relics with all the wear in the same places on multiple guitars.
Yep, like I was just saying ...

Or when they are factory mass produced, so ALL the gouges and scars are ALL exactly the same. It's fake. They also tend to way overdo it. Real aging and relic - from actual use and time - is more random and 'organic".

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Guitars purposely damaged to look like its been played ?

Pass.....

but would you pass down a well used guitar , because it might seem like it was intentionally reliced ? . I did a few years ago . a '67 Strat that looked like it was beaten to hell . I passed on it __ only to find out after someone grabbed it . that it was a touring musician's main ( and maybe only ) guitar for 50 years . I barely even checked it out to see what kind of player it was . but lesson learned

there's a company I found a few years ago ( because I'm a fan of Erwin van Ligten ) , called Rebel Relics . they seem to be done very tastefully . but most importantly . done with the right paints that will continue to age gracefully

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Barry's Goldie is beautiful to me.... Natural wear from decades....

I recommend Willie's book too..... Great book and a good guy....

Last edited:

TheX

just some do0d
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's beautiful. Got a before shot?
LOL, I know you're kidding, but the damage was extensive. I know a lot of people would have left it alone, but I had to find out how bad it all was, and I'm glad I stripped it.

The diagonal crease was from stress of a twist.

head-1.jpg

Thankfully what looked like a crack was a strange anomaly in the lacquer.

deluxe-5.jpg

This speaks for itself.

deluxe-6.jpg

And after pics.

deluxe-head-1.jpg
deluxe-head-2.jpg

deluxe-frets-2.jpg

deluxe-done-1.jpg

Latest Threads