What bugs me about some relics for sale.

DMartini

Reaction score
std Relic can be tasty (i have a CS 56 Strat Relic) but the heavy relic thing where Fender give the Strat/Tele body to a school kid to drag down the street behind his push bike for a few days is just a bridge to far IMO.

Howard2k

Premium Member
Reaction score
Each to their own. I love the look of a properly well worn guitar, or a relic that is convincing enough to fool me. Many look shit, but the good ones look fantastic.

Not something I would pay for though.

dro

Reaction score
Dad was a fireman. In the early 70's he went to a house fire where fire didn't enter the kitchen. But the heat melted the red telephone . Remember those things that used to hang on the wall, and ring a real bell when somebody wanted to talk to you? You know, the thing that used to stay at home whenever you went anywhere. Anyway, the heat melted the plastic in a kind of abstract stoned again kind of way. He had the phone co. tech take it off the wall, mounted it on a plaque. Called it The Hotline. Hung in our house for a long time. Wish I knew what happened to it. So, always in the back of my mind.

On eaby one day, I saw a 1275 that went through a fire. Was being sold as damaged. Kinda cool.

So my idea is, take a Les Paul Standard. stack a small pile of wood. Set guitar on a stand on top. Light it. Keeping a close eye putting it out before getting too toasted. Clean and hang as art.

Only problem is I cant seem to burn the ones I've paid for. So looking for donations.
Any takers?

fleahead

Reaction score
Most of the guitars I see have finish check lines that look too uniform and fake..... and when I see people showing off their $5,000 relic I cringe knowing that they paid that much for a horrid job

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fender did a good job with journeyman relics. Supposed to look like it's been from gig to gig. My only question is, if you're going for a relic, why not strive for that on all of them. Tasteful I'd call it. Not all old guitars look like SRV's

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Relics are cool when done right but it bugs me to see a distressed guitar with new looking pickups and hardware. Happy Friday.
Or when they are factory mass produced, so ALL the gouges and scars are ALL exactly the same. It's fake. They also tend to way overdo it. Real aging and relic - from actual use and time - is more random and 'organic".

fleahead

Reaction score
My last (of 10) GMs gave me a beautiful Std. Premium Plus top in amber (I was leaving after 14 years, and had a baby on the way and it was a sweet gesture from a nice guy)....... that night the local bar was having it's weekly jam and we all went (like we always did - the "Gibson Guys" were known for partying and jamming hard)......

We were doing "Rock and Roll"..... I was doing the lead and smoking it too..... up on a chair, up onto a table.... the crowd is loving it. Then the table top broke from the center post and down I went....more like skiing down the table top to the floor.

I never stopped playing, never even lost my place.... it happened so quickly, but after the song was over I noticed a nice chip on the outside of the cutaway.... not only was I not pissed, to me it was a great reminder of a hellacious, fun night of beer and loud rock. Even if I had paid for the LP it (to me) was still RnR mojo. A battle wound, if you will.

Epilogue: Hated selling it when I did, but the Dad of a player in an East Coast band who just had their gear stolen purchased it for his son and I got to follow them online and see that guitar get more live action love (including on a street corner at SWSX)....I asked if I could buy it back but he said it had become his #1 and he wanted to keep it. I can only imagine how cool that bad boy looks by now.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
I kinda like the relics look, but don't think ide ever spend the money on one. Why would you want a guitar you didn't wear down yourself?
I don't think the issue people have is the aesthetic, after all well-worn vintage instruments are commonly fawned over. The issue is the artifice, and what that can imply about the owner. To many people a torn up guitar, like a torn up pair of jeans, seems meant to imply that the owner has lived a much more exciting and dangerous life than he actually has, which would make the owner a poser.