What brand of pickups sound most like the Barrie Cadogan video?

islandjimmy

Reaction score
Hey All,

I know this is a HUGE question, but I am seeking advice before I purchase. I just watched the Barrie Cadogan video for the umpteenth time, and want to find (like everyone else lol) a set of humbuckers that look and sound like an original set of PAF's, particularly the tones Barrie is getting from the 59 Burst he is playing in the video. Here's what I have tried so far, Gibson 57 Classics, Gibson 59 Tributes, Seymour Duncan Antiquities, Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers, Tokai MK 2s, and Burstbucker 2s and 3s. I have tried all of these, love them all for their particular characteristics, but I keep chasing tone, and seeking that certain something. I build tweed clone amps, so I am not lacking for a good amp to play through. I know there are a ton of boutique pickup manufacturers out there, and many pickups I have not tried yet. So my question to all of you is, what pickups have you tried that sound most like the pickups in the Barrie Cadogan video? (link Below)

Thank you!

Last edited:

jbash

Reaction score
Well, who the hell is to say what is going on in those PAFs.

But I notice that you have a whole lot of A2 magnet pickups, and the guitar in question seems to have a bit more snap, tightness, faster attack and raw edge to the sound than is typical of modern day A2 "PAF TYPE" (and I use that term loosely) pickups.

I would start with (modern repro) PAF builds using Alnico 4 or 5 type magnets. BK Mules, PAF1 s from @cooljuk , Wizz, whoever.

islandjimmy

Reaction score
Well, who the hell is to say what is going on in those PAFs.

But I notice that you have a whole lot of A2 magnet pickups, and the guitar in question seems to have a bit more snap, tightness, faster attack and raw edge to the sound than is typical of modern day A2 "PAF TYPE" (and I use that term loosely) pickups.

I would start with (modern repro) PAF builds using Alnico 4 or 5 type magnets. BK Mules, PAF1 s from @cooljuk , Wizz, whoever.
JBash thank you, I will check out your recommendations. I never thought about the magnets.

pirate19

Reaction score
Love that video, especially since he's coaxing those tones out of a $150 or so amp rig

Caretaker

Reaction score
Lollar Imperial low winds
Fralin Pure PAFs are both very close for not a huge amount of $$.
If you want to spend a little more, James at Rewind can probably save you a lot of time buying and trying various pickups.
he can probably wind something very close.
remember poats and caps all play into the sound as well as wood and YOUR playing.

Jerry_M

Reaction score
I dunno maybe something with lower winds and A5 magnets. I always suggest to people to try the 36th Anniversary from DiMarzio, so far its my favorite bridge pickup, I like it better than the Lollars , SD or Gibsons that I had on my LPs

JMP

Reaction score
Lots of practice. I don’t think his pickups really matter. It’s all in his technique. I sure wish I could play like Barrie.

Lhdr

Reaction score
And that valve junior. It’s got its own mojo.

islandjimmy

Reaction score
Technique over hardware.
I agree with this and JMP's input as well, technique over hardware, I couldn't agree more. I play every day, and yes, I could, and should, spend more time on lessons and technique. When I enviously watch Barrie play that guitar so well, I know I should work harder when it comes to becoming a better guitarist. That being said, there is something about getting things just the way you like it hardware wise. I love my Les Paul, and also enjoy trying different pickups and capacitors, stuff like that. It's just fun to mess around and see if I can make a $1200 Les Paul sound like a $300,000 Les Paul.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Didn‘t sound like low-winds, was kind of dark and muddy sounding with an unpleasant fizzy sound when turned up. I suspect this was probably due to his amp settings. Who knows what those pups really sound like.

Caretaker

Reaction score
That amp has that dark "quality" to it and the mud was probably the tone pot turned down

Latest Threads