What are the exact differences between Custom Shop and USA?

Vidarsson

Reaction score
Hi!
I wonder what are the exact differences is between a Custom Shop and USA?
I've been looking into buying new guitars in June (I'll have enough money then) and I don't really know what the exact differences is between a USA and Custom. By that I mean the way they're made.

I've tried to watch as many factory tours as possible but I'm a bit confused cause they all say something different each time (because they're from different years mostly) ._.

Any want to help me out with listing the facts? :D

PS: Anyone know when the 2015 Custom Shop and Acoustic lineup will come?

foxtrot

Reaction score
Quality of the woods, construction, attention to detail, quality control, neck angle, neck tenons, etc.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong or add to this (not sure if all custom shops have long neck tenons or just the ReIssues?).

Prometheus

Reaction score
attention to details and wood qualities will be better than USA line
in theory anyway :naughty:

Now as you may know, Gibson QC can be a bit like... all over the place, so you will find some custom guitars that sound like a dead stone, or on the flip side, regular USA LP that sounds far better than any other guitars in the shop. But generally speaking custom LP is better.

However, a custom axe will cost you like at least 1k euro more compared to regular model, and the question you have to ask yourself is, "is it worth it?"

splatter

Reaction score
if you want custom shop quality at USA prices ......buy a heritage

there I said it

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
PS: Anyone know when the 2015 Custom Shop and Acoustic lineup will come?

May 1 for the 2015 Reissues is the latest estimate that I heard from a knowledgeable member over in the Historic section. Not sure about Montana.

As far as differences go, it kind of depends on the year. If you're potentially looking for a 2015 from the Custom Shop, read up on some threads over in the other section. The short version is that they are sort of splitting the Reissues this year into two different lines. One will be really high priced "True Historics" with upgraded plastics, etc. and the other are called "1950s Style" and will be something akin to a hybrid pre-2015 USA LP with some of the pre-2015 Historic appointments.

EDIT: Here is a thread with a lot of info on the 2015 CS lineup...

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/historics-reissues/326621-namm-gibson-reporting-live.html

Bristol Posse

Reaction score
Custom Shop guitars come with a certificate of origin and the interior of the case is sprayed with Eau de Cork

Neck profiles, hardware and finish choices are different between models
"custom shop" models get different plastics and usually Nylon vs corian nut.
Different models get different pickups and electronic swittching options
Re issues get fake "Bumble Bee" caps
Re issues have a tighter tolerance for the weight of the backs
Both are mass produced, production line guitars with a degree of hand finishing
Both (as of 2015 in CS) produce long and short tenon models.
Both if you buy new are ludicrously overpriced for what you get.
Both can deliver a pretty nice guitar

Custom shop is a name only. between reissues, CC models, artist models, Various hollow body reissues and artist runs, Customs, and various other runs. They are bashing out well over 1,000 guitars a month into a worldwide distribution network. That's a production line

Vidarsson

Reaction score
Oh, thanks for all the answers! Now I understand the exact differences better!

Well, I've been looking mainly on the 2013 R7 Reissue (3100USD) and the 2013 R8 Reissue (3200USD) both new guitars. Which is almost the same price here in Sweden as a new 2015 Gibson Les Paul Standard. I'm no fan of the 2015 USA lineup because it feels too high-tech. But I haven't tried a 2015 yet.

I don't know what the prices are in the US for those guitars, but I think it's quite a good price we got here?

I'm not so satisfied with my guitar collection (mostly mid-range guitars that I rarely use). So I'm going to sell all of my guitars and replace them with one/two high-end electrical guitars and one high-end acoustic.

Anyone got any tips on guitars I should try out? Doesn't have to be a Gibson or a new guitar.

stgreg

Reaction score
Quality of the woods, construction, attention to detail, quality control, neck angle, neck tenons, etc.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong or add to this (not sure if all custom shops have long neck tenons or just the ReIssues?).

Yes ^ and everything else Gibson USA doesn't do or pay attention to.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
inlays, side dots, binding thickness, headstock veneer,.....lots of differences,...pretty much everything is different

ARandall

Reaction score
The reissues get the select wood, but if you were talking about something like a LP Custom then this has the same wood as the regular production line. Due I think to the multiply binding it is moved off the production as this requires more steps to do.

There is a hefty price premium, so Henry can put less pressure on the workers to churn out guitars quickly. You have a much better chance of a really nice playing guitar.

Latest Threads