what are '68 black beauty with refret going for at mo?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Asking for a friend. had a search through usual sources, not really coming up with any numbers. its solid mahog, maple cap? no volute, no laminate neck/body.

LPPILOT

Reaction score
Well, they are quite rare , only a few hundred were made and as most saw heavy use during heyday of rock music and were rode hard put up wet ...nice remaining examples are few and far between. . Finding a real 68 without a neck or headstock repair is uncommon . Just finding an actual 68 will be hard , the frets are the least of worries. 9 out of 10 advertised 1968 customs are actually 1969 's you see for sale . You better study the late 60's LP website very well or you ll be looking at a bunch of 1969. customs , no t 1968 guitars . This explains why prices are all over the place. Dealers trying to pass off 69 guitars as 68's are lower prices. Which , given the premium you ll pay for a real 1968 , you can get a way better condition 69 and not give up too much . The the first ones built were stamped serials 899xxx and will cost you a butt load of money for a completely intact unmolested guitar. People with real 1968 LPC know what they have and you ll more than likely have to meet their price ....or buy a 1969 . They are too cool for school.

Last edited:

Armenfish

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i was looking for a 68 and finally i end up giving up for the reasons exposed above.

i end with an early 69 and i’m very happy!!
I love that guitar!

good luck!

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, they are quite rare , only a few hundred were made and as most saw heavy use during heyday of rock music and were rode hard put up wet ...nice remaining examples are few and far between. . Finding a real 68 without a neck or headstock repair is uncommon . Just finding an actual 68 will be hard , the frets are the least of worries. 9 out of 10 advertised 1968 customs are actually 1969 's you see for sale . You better study the late 60's LP website very well or you ll be looking at a bunch of 1969. customs , no t 1968 guitars . This explains why prices are all over the place. Dealers trying to pass off 69 guitars as 68's are lower prices. Which , given the premium you ll pay for a real 1968 , you can get a way better condition 69 and not give up too much . The the first ones built were stamped serials 899xxx and will cost you a butt load of money for a completely intact unmolested guitar. People with real 1968 LPC know what they have and you ll more than likely have to meet their price ....or buy a 1969 . They are too cool for school.
thanks for the pointer to the website. i looked at that site ages ago forgot it existed. its a treaure trove of info. thanks

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is one for sale in uk, but it looks to be transitional tenon, machine heads not original, and the lacquer over serial number sanded off which looks awful, for 3k more than that asking price there's a good condition '56 with staple p90 pickups.

Last edited:

Latest Threads