What amps/cab do i have here?

afireinside

Reaction score
Neighbors new GF (both of their spouses passesd away suddenly a few years ago) husband used to play. Their daughter took his guitars and some amps but had left over 4 amps he wants me to value and or buy off them.

I know one is a peavy ultra 112 tube amp all seems to work, its clean but doesnt inspire soundwise to my PRRI. Just very flat sounding may be the speaker. Not bad just not good.

Other is a musicman 1x12 cab decent shape not sure the speaker. Stock? Decent?

Last edited:

afireinside

Reaction score
Whats a good price for the peavey? $100 and $50 for the MM cab?

MooCheng

Reaction score
the Peavey is a reasonably good steel amp
you might get a better idea what its worth over on the PSG forum

The Ballzz

Reaction score
That Peavey "Special 112" is basically a higher powered "Bandit" of that era. If wanting to get yer feet wet in the solid state world, those "Bandits" and "Specials" are some of the best of the best when trying to get "tube-ish" tones out of solid state!
Also, Peavey's solid state stuff is generally bullet proof, yet a piece of cake to repair!

The tube Peavey? Not sure, it would need to be played.

The Crate? Eh?

$400 would be a fair price for all, topping out at $450-$500, and that's if they all work. $300 or less would be a steal

Just My $.02 & Likely Worth A Lot Less!
Gene

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Let me know if you get that 1x12 cab. I've been looking for a cheap one.

Gridlock

Reaction score
Maybe:
$125-$135 for t h Peavey Ultra ($150 if lucky)
$100-$135 for the Peavey Special
$75-$100 for the MusicMan cab
$35 for the Crate.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I love the Music Man cab. I'd have bought that from you several weeks back.

I'm not a fan of anything Peavey. My worthless opinion.

afireinside

Reaction score
Yeah thanks for the info. Was still thinking the tube 1x12 ultra and the MM cab if its reasonable

EndGame00

Reaction score
I'm curious about the Crate. Looks like it was made in mid to late 80's... Never seen one with a rocker switch for channel select....

bblooz

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
MM cab spkr looks like a replacement, but good working man's box. Love to get that one and stuff a vintage Celestion in it. Let me know if you pick it up and don't want it.

afireinside

Reaction score
Ok got them all for doing some work for the neighbor.

MM cab was mostly what i wanted sounds great as a ext cab to my 65 PRRI.

The ultra sounds great too good cleans but too much amp for me. One day when i am alone ill push some pedals into it. Looking to sell, had a decent offer in trade (raylor 110 acoustic) but the guys wife flipped out (was his wedding present)

The Special 112 i think was my first new "real" amp back in 96, dont remember i was 16. Had scratchy pots and the reverb had some noise issues but used contact cleaner on pots and fixed it all. Sounds great. Again still a bit on the too much for what i need but nice to have.

The crate wont power up but havent looked into it yet I will when i have time

efstop

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I saw a Crate VXT 212 combo yesterday for $60 CAD at a pawn shop. I'd give them $50 for it just to have a good 212 cab with casters. I wouldn't even fire the amp up, just trash the guts. Speakers too.

E1WOOD5150

Purveyor of Joke Grenades
Reaction score
I'm curious about the Crate. Looks like it was made in mid to late 80's... Never seen one with a rocker switch for channel select....
The Crate CR-112 was the very first amp I ever owned. I got mine in 80 or 81. 20 watts of solid state power, reverb, and yes, a rocker switch selected overdrive channel.

The amp sucked. Thin, no life in it, the overdrive was more like fuzz. Not good fuzz, either. The reverb howled instead of reverbed. There is a plug in the back for a footswitch to switch channels, but to my knowledge, Crate didn't have a footswitch to offer.

@afireinside, that amp is worth keeping, only to gut it and make a cabinet out of. If you don't want to do that, I'll give you $25 for it, shipping included.