What Amp Would You Recommend?

wildhawk1

Reaction score
I have been to several people houses that had 100 watt tube amps as bedroom amp..... :wave:
Not bedroom but friend has a Marshall stack in his living room.

Crazy.

Back to biz.

1 watt is max you'll need in a apartment.
Thats why something like the Katana 50 is a good choice.

.5w can get great tones quiet and be amazing loud at home if you dime it.

25w or 50w is there if the occasion ever presents itself to get LOUD.

BKS

Reaction score
Not bedroom but friend has a Marshall stack in his living room.

Crazy.

Back to biz.

1 watt is max you'll need in a apartment.
Thats why something like the Katana 50 is a good choice.

.5w can get great tones quiet and be amazing loud at home if you dime it.

25w or 50w is there if the occasion ever presents itself to get LOUD.
:dunno: :cheers:
DSC_2261_compress17.jpg

Okay i don't really use the rhoads but i love the the twin, sounds amazing. Don't ask about the hotrod deluxe.....
But this is my livingroom.... And i know it is a little overkill...

studio1087

Reaction score
1 watt Blackstar and a 1 x 12 cab with a good speaker. The Blackstar has a nice reverb. They're like $245 brand new. Great sound and feel. They take pedals well and the feel big when you play.

JoeRockHead

Reaction score
I lived in an apartment for a few years and bought a fender bassbreaker 007 head to go with an old Peavy 10" speaker cab I had. It's a 7 watt tube amp with no bells and whistles that is supposed to emulate their old Bluesbreakers line. I don't know about that, but this amp rocks at low volume, it has no headroom so doesn't take some pedals well but it has a treble boost overdriver that serves the purpose fine, I like classic rock and never see the need for another pedal on this amp. I thought it was a little on the bassy side so I usually had the bass turned way down, but once I moved into my house and could crank it in my living room, the tone was warm and welcome, I even upgraded to a 12" cab. I love the sound of this amp it breaks up early right where I want it. Maybe not for everyone but it's my little dream champ amp
IMG_20190119_113814.jpg

Last edited:

Texaseaglerider

Reaction score
I have had the katana and it is a very good amp. I now have a Peavey VIP2 and love it, has all the effects you will ever need. For your situation I would recommend a good set of earbuds or headphones. I also have a Vox mini amp which plugs into your gutiar and has the 3.5 headphone plug. It makes you completely portable and the classic rock version sounds surprisingly good. Just a thought.

Angrycolon

Reaction score
Yes, the Blackstar has been mentioned and I agree. They make the first solid-state amp I've ever kept in my gear room. I rehearse with an ID-Core 100 now. With built-in effects, you won't have to run out and buy a bunch of pedals. Built-in tuner and looper, lightweight and you could do a band practice with it with no problem. And best of all CHEAP PRICE! And by the way, I've have a choice to lugging out '79 Marshall JMP's, Egnator, or Orange rigs! But as I get older, they get heavier. lol :cool:

JohnInNJ

Reaction score
I'm amp shopping myself, but not because I live in an apartment...I just want to hear the crickets at night and still get a nice bell-like tone. I've been looking at Quilter Block amps. They're much more expensive even used than the Katanas but seem to have everything - headphone out, effects loop, a ridiculous range of tones from Fender clean to Marshall and everything in between (they are not modeling amps so you have to find your own sweet spot), and tiny weighing in at about 2 pounds without a speaker cab. Check out the many youtube videos.

Rorer714

Reaction score
Katana a good choice, as are the new Blackstar Silverlines. Marshall CODE works well also. No tubes in any.

cherrysunburst00

I don't even care about the pat cictures anymore
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you want tubes (and why wouldn't you?), Orange has a few amps with a 'Headroom/Bedroom' feature. For example, on my Rocker 15 Terror, I can scale the power down from 15/7W down to 1/0.5. Really great for quiet home practice, the best I've ever heard in a tube amp.
I might just have to reacquire one. SWEET tone, to be sure

cherrysunburst00

I don't even care about the pat cictures anymore
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.
I quess i'll just stick to my Yamaha THR10.
Still sounds badass and plenty loud.
One day I'll upgrade to the THR30 though ;)
In the end, if it "sounds badass" that says it all :applause::cheers2: