What AMp To buy

HairyPickle

Reaction score
hey. im looking to buy a tube or ss amp to match with my les paul studio.
my price range is anywhere from 0 to about $600.
what im looking for in the amp is: it has to be a tube(i may make some execptions), must have reverb(good long reverb), one 12 in. speaker, a good distortion but not muddy, a sweet clean sound, should be a combo
i will mostly be using this amp at my house and at jazz band practice at school.
some amp i was looking at were:
Peavey Valve King 112
Fender Blues Deluxe
Fender HRD
Line 6 Flextone 3
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Junior NOS
Vox AD50VT
Vox AC15CC1
Kustom The Defender
Peavey Classic.
im sort of aiming towards a guns N roses sound with a good clean joe pass jazz tone.

thanks,

Hairy Pickle:)

notoperational

Reaction score
I would try and find a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Deville, those amps are awesome and they have awesome reverb.

Maybe even a used Twin? If you like the Fender thing those amps can be had for SUPER cheap.

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would try and find a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Deville, those amps are awesome and they have awesome reverb.

Maybe even a used Twin? If you like the Fender thing those amps can be had for SUPER cheap.

nothing like plush fender reverb :thumb:

Kickstand

Reaction score
Hard to beat the peavey classic 30 for those applications.

Robespierre

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'd get the Line 6 Flextone or the VOX AD50VT. Both of them are portable, both sound great a low volumes, they have all sorts of cool models, and they are within your price range.

BUT, BUT, BUT, you'll probably grow out of those at some point. If you bought the Fender Blues Jr. you'll probably end up keeping it longer.

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Peavey Classic range does all that. And cheap. Nasty little class A, all valve amps. The dirty channel is very Marshall-esque. Reverb. Clean channel. Pre and post volumes on the dirty channel. Foot switchable channels and reverb. Effects loop. Come in 50 Watt (4 x 10 or 2 x 12 combos), 30 Watt (1 x 12 or 2 x 10 in the Blues Classic range), and there are old Classic 20s out there for sale from time to time. I'd get the 20 if I could, or the 30 failing that.

Fender...hmmm, not so keen on Hotrods.

Then there's the old Fender market. You can get old Band Masters pretty cheap. It's not a combo, but it's a kick ass amp. Wish I still had mine...sniff.

Splat

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I own a fender blues deluxe and that amp is killer...used it for many gigs and it can cover a lot of ground...used it for blues, rock, jazz, and reggea...it is my main gigging amp...

one thing to mention is it is loud, when you push it (and I have found that most tube amps liked to be pushed) so, as a bedroom type thing you could get a attenuator (at least this is what I did after losing too much hearing) and, also I have had many a musician tell me to turn down the amp because it was too loud (LOL, not my playing)...including drummers

take your LP and play through one and I bet it will stay high on your list.....

I also own a vox ac15cc, not as flexible as the fender blues deluxe but a very nice amp...

I have not yet used it for a gig but, it could be a LITTLE bit low on the wattage...when dealing with a "loud" drummer...now a good drummer can play a bit softer and should be able to balance a bit but, if you find yourself playing with "loud" musicians you COULD run out of head room... .....(or you could just plug it into your 4 12, LOL, at least this is what I do)....now in a gig situation with monitors I would think it would work well...and the verb on it SUCKS bad but, other then that it is a great amp

(I also have to admit I do not like the hotrods but, to each his own)

HungryBenji

Reaction score

Shawn Fate

Reaction score
Vox AC15CC1
2nd choice would be a old fender champ with money left over to buy a good boost pedal...etc

v8ko

Reaction score
Fender blues jr. The Fender amps youve listed are hands down the best amps on your list. If your ust chillaxin at home with your gear a 10 watt or less tube amp is PLENTY power. Ive actually used my 8 watt Fender amp during practice plugged into my Marshall lead half stack!!!

Do yourself a favor stay away from SS period.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
agreed. classic 30s are the shit.

I absolutely love mine to death. I honestly could not be happier with that little amp - particularly considering the price. Mine did need a Tom's Tube Tamer to cure the rattle, but now that I've done that, it is just an unstoppable amp - killer tone, great reverb, excellent crunch on the OD channel (no, not metal fuzz - real CRUNCH!) - and it is a loud little beast. Everything from home practice to full volume band practices to small/medium venue gigs - it shines in every application I've used it in.

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I mucked around with a Hotrod deVille yesterday. I was testing something else, but my impression of the amp is as follows. I ran it clean, and just cranked the volume to about 50-60%. It gave a nice overdrive, but it was god awful loud like that. It also lacked some ‘give’ in the overdrive. Hit a chord, and it starts like a bad morning and just keeps on coming. The texture of the overdrive itself was nice, though.

The volume got me wondering what it would be like with 5881s instead of the Groove Tube 6l6GTs. The GTs are nice, but they’re 30 Watt bottles, and 5881s would break up sooner.

…but it doesn’t have a bias pot. Bugger. It also doesn’t have a valve rectifier. It’s solid state, which explains the lack of ‘give’.

So, to make this into a really first class amp for blues and rock (though not metal), you’d need to take it to a techie and have a bias pot installed. I don’t know enough about the power supply to say whether it can be modded for a valve rectifier. It was a nice sounding amp, but it didn't quite have what it took to get control of the tone.

Given all of that, I’d go for a Peavey Classic 50 or Classic 30 before this amp. The Peaveys are Class A, so the rectification doesn’t matter: it’s already ‘sagged’.

But I’d recommend a Bassman over either.

overdriver

Banned
Reaction score
I mucked around with a Hotrod deVille yesterday. I was testing something else, but my impression of the amp is as follows. I ran it clean, and just cranked the volume to about 50-60%. It gave a nice overdrive, but it was god awful loud like that. It also lacked some ‘give’ in the overdrive. Hit a chord, and it starts like a bad morning and just keeps on coming. The texture of the overdrive itself was nice, though.

The volume got me wondering what it would be like with 5881s instead of the Groove Tube 6l6GTs. The GTs are nice, but they’re 30 Watt bottles, and 5881s would break up sooner.

…but it doesn’t have a bias pot. Bugger. It also doesn’t have a valve rectifier. It’s solid state, which explains the lack of ‘give’.

So, to make this into a really first class amp for blues and rock (though not metal), you’d need to take it to a techie and have a bias pot installed. I don’t know enough about the power supply to say whether it can be modded for a valve rectifier. It was a nice sounding amp, but it didn't quite have what it took to get control of the tone.

Given all of that, I’d go for a Peavey Classic 50 or Classic 30 before this amp. The Peaveys are Class A, so the rectification doesn’t matter: it’s already ‘sagged’.

But I’d recommend a Bassman over either.

I do not think much of the hotrod either , cheap used. They have a problem with over heated and blowing plate resisters I hear.

And they do have a trim type adjustment screw for adjusting bias voltage so a person can adjust the power tube dissapation. Eurotubes guy has a video on doing so.

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I do not think much of the hotrod either , cheap used. They have a problem with over heated and blowing plate resisters I hear.
I have heard stories of that sort, too. I have also read reviews where people wax lyrical about them, after changing the speakers and valves.:rolleyes:

And they do have a trim type adjustment screw for adjusting bias voltage so a person can adjust the power tube dissapation. Eurotubes guy has a video on doing so.
Ah, the young know-nothing at the store lied to me then. :hmm: I thought I could hear an echoing noise when he spoke.

If you can bias the bastard down for 5881s, then that makes it whole different ball game.

Splat

PS - mate, what is that thing in your avatar that the cats are drooling at?

Sir Punk

Reaction score
I have a flextone III for sale :D. I think the clean is great and delay and reverb are pretty good. PM me if you wanna talk about it. It's in mint condition

Latest Threads