What amp do you recommend for a Les Paul?

bentfinger

Reaction score
I go with a Fender deluxe Reverb '65.
Or if you like pedals and can lift it, then the Marshall BluesBraker will
knock your socks off.

guitaroholic

Reaction score
Couple Criteria:
Budget
Weight vs Mobility
Channels? I like multi-channel amps and foot switches.
Tubes or Modeling? Got Pedals already or need effects?

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
My Marshall 50w lead combo.
Sadly (for you! lolol) it's not for sale.

Would be everything you want and need, if you can find one for reasonable money.
Or, look at Blackstar (valves).

10w -30w combo for a home practice amp (Reverb if you can).
30w -50w combo for small bars/clubs.
50w-100w stacks for larger clubs/halls.
Thereafter you'll be needing to add some level of p.a. and mixer.

Noam Bukowski

Reaction score
Classic Rock AND jazz, useable at home AND with a drummer...that's not an easy task.

My weapon of choice might be an AC15HW, a 5e3 type clone, or a Marshall 1974X.

I you wan to go from jazz to classic rock, you'll want to use your guitar's volume control and your od/booster pedal accordingly :)

stang90gt

Reaction score
Gibson and Marshall is the classic combination. But I've found that the Marshalls not made in England to be quite a disappointment. Instead of spending crazy money on a "proper" Marshall, I bought a used EVH 5150 and use a Rivera Rock Crusher Attenuator / Load box. i can play at bedroom levels and it sounds amazing, or i can blow the windows out and it still sounds amazing. Bottom line is go to a music shop with your guitar, play as many amps as you can and get the one that sounds good to you. if its a 100 watt head with a 2x12 cab you can always get yourself an attenuator / load box and bring the volume down to where you want it with very little tone loss.

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
As ever... ask ten guitarists a question and get back a minimum of twelve answers! :rofl:

There's actually quite a lot to unpack in what seems like a fairly simple question...

Depending on personal preferences (and assuming you're not trying to be Eric Johnson, where every different screw in the cab will (apparently) make a massive difference to your tone...) then maybe the first question is something along the lines of:

"What do I really need this amp to do?"

-- Easily portable? (Combo rather than head and cab?)

-- Do you have one particular "signature" tone that you want to try to get or would you prefer the flexibility of an amp that will give you lots of options?

-- Valve? (often need to be pushed harder to get that "tone" and can be not so great at lower volumes.

-- If one amp is to cover home playing and maybe small gigging then something with the option to reduce power output is not a bad idea.

-- Maybe consider a recent modelling amp if you really would like to be able to have lots of different tonal options for different styles of music. The cork-sniffers may roll their eyes but the newer tech is actually pretty good for a range of sounds and can get you fairly close to several of the big name options in one package without breaking the bank.

-- Other features: what do you want built-in... More than one channel? Reverb? Tremolo? Effects loop? None...? Footswitch options?

-- Are you going to be using this with a mahoosive pedal board or are some simple on-board effects going to be more useful to you (with maybe an option for some programming some presets and using a footswitch)...?

Just a few things to consider -- and then you can see what amp models get close to meeting these needs and go try them out!

peach64

Reaction score
Depending on your budget and ear. You have some things to consider:
Modeling vs Tube
Favorite Tube: 6L6, 5881, EL34, EL84
Speakers: Celestions, JBL, etc
If you have a few grand consider an 18 watt Trainwreck Express (EL34) or Rocket (EL84)
They will blow your mind

vlivecch

Reaction score
I’ve been really diggin my Origin 50 head with matching 4x12 cab… I’m getting great clean tones and of course some dirty Marshall tones… I’ve got a metal muff for that 80s metal and a wampler for that Plexi feel…. On its own with no pedals and the gain cranked even sounds good! Can’t beat the Switchable power(5/10/50 watts ) to control the volume! Also, it’s the quietest amp I’ve got in the stable when not playing.. BTW, I play a 2020 60s Standard, which is a beauty of an instrument….. I’m sure the 50s is nice too!!

Attachments

keys88

Reaction score
This is like asking what beer tastes best. Ask 10 different people and you'll get 10 different answers. I personally tend to favor British style amps with Les Pauls, but to each his own. But if you want maximum flexibility you can't go wrong with a clean platform like a Deluxe Reverb and some pedals. A DR sounds awesome on its own but it's also kinda like a blank slate - just add whatever pedals you like to achieve whatever different musical styles you need.

Tensjeek

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a Gorilla .
I have 6 different amps: Marshall studio 20 with cab, PRS Sonzera 20 combo, fender Princeton reverb combo, Orange 20, Vox AC15 handwired, and a Mesa Boogie Recto-verb 25. I do live gigs. No1) Go with a tube amp as they are powerful enough. No2) you do NOT need anything over 25 watt if it is a tube amp, and No 3) make sure it has 2 independent channels. ( or use a small pedal board if you don’t have 2 channels. I gig with the Mesa Recto Verb. It also has an attenuator taking it from 25 watt to 10 watt. I primarily play my GLP. The Mesa new is $1500. Worth every penny. Unfortunately they weight in around the 45lb mark. However. The Mesa has a clean channel that is clear crisp and warm and lives pedals. The gain channel can crunch with the best. KEY FEATURE:?? Channel is switchable by the foot pedal that comes with it. These two channels are INDEPENDENT. You can have wanted to 25 white with whatever settings you want and then you can flip to the other channel and have it at 10 watch if you want and whatever settings you want they are totally independent of each other. The PRS Sonzera 20 is very similar to the Mesa. Hope this info helps

Cyberi4n

Reaction score
Egnater Tweaker 15 plus a 2x12 OR a Fender Blues Junior gets my vote

Tensjeek

Reaction score
This is like asking what beer tastes best. Ask 10 different people and you'll get 10 different answers. I personally tend to favor British style amps with Les Pauls, but to each his own. But if you want maximum flexibility you can't go wrong with a clean platform like a Deluxe Reverb and some pedals. A DR sounds awesome on its own but it's also kinda like a blank slate - just add whatever pedals you like to achieve whatever different musical styles you need.
As does the Fender Princeton reverb! He is correct. Can’t go wrong with one of these. However, the Mesa has a bit more versatility where the FDR does not. It does have 2 channels however…. Not really independent and no gain. Just saying. But he is correct amazing amps very PEDAL friendly

2Muchgear

Reaction score
A nice jtm45 head or blue breaker combo Should just about be enough for those coffee house gigs!

macaius

Reaction score
I would recommend a Blackstar TVP 260 and I'm really impressed with the tone and versatilily. It's like a true stereo Katana.

Latest Threads