What American Actors do a Convincing British Accent?

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
It sounded shitty because he wasn't trying to pull off a British accent. :D
He was going for an Afrikaans accent, and yes it was brutal.

There are so many great actors from the countries American actors try to impersonate, I don't know why the studios don't go for the real deal.

Jedadiah

Reaction score
Peter Dinklage
Yeah but he plays such a great character in 'Game of Thrones', i'll forgive him it!

Johnny Depp does a good English accent when it's called for and i once saw Mike Myers do a good one. His Scottish is better than his English, but i think thats down to parentage. Check out 'So I Married an Axe Murderer'.

slapshot

Reaction score
The singing/accent thread got me thinking. It seems like a ton of American actors tackle British accents at some point in their careers. Which (If any) do a convincing job?
no idea but I know the worst i've heard from recent memory is that dickwobble from sons of anarchy that played a 'hoodlum after a spot 'f bovver from souf 'ondon in green st "hooligans"
:laugh2:

Reaction score
I always laugh at Christopher Plummer. He talks like he was born to an upper crust London family. He's from friggin Toronto!

Phil47uk

Reaction score
The singing/accent thread got me thinking. It seems like a ton of American actors tackle British accents at some point in their careers. Which (If any) do a convincing job?

I figure all Brits sound like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins:

Step In Time - Mary Poppins (Dick Van Dyke) - YouTube

But what do I know? I've been wrong before. :laugh2:
Dick Van Dyke had a dreadful English accent.. So bad in fact, that audiences over here burst out laughing when they heard it..
Probably the worst Cockney accent I have ever heard.

No, sorry, Brits do not sound like Dick Van Dyke..

Dreadful....:facepalm:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu23HHmOG48]Mary Poppins "Step in Time" - YouTube[/ame]

An American, as I said in a previous post who can pull off a decent English accent is Meryl Streep. You can hear her ( Educated Brit accent ) at 0:25..Very good actually.

Ironically all filmed in Lyme Regis Dorset near me.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTO1wDxAAxc&feature=fvsr]The French Lieutenant's Woman - Official Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Nigel Tufnel's tech

Reaction score
The worst fake British accent has belongs to Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider.
When women do a British accent they always end up posh, doesn't matter where the character is from, the always sound like Julie Andrews taught them the Queens.

There are so many British/Irish/Scottish accents... What REALLY blows my mind are the British/Irish/Scottish actors that can absolutely NAIL an American accent... and we have a few as well...
What do you think of Idris Elba effort in the Wire? I thought Matthew Rhys in Brothers & Sisters was convincing but you would be a better judge living with the nuances of the accent.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
This dude kinda looks like a Brit, don't know about the accent. He's only a north american also

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IloIoGj5Mj0"]Kids In The Hall - Message from Queen of England To Canada - YouTube[/ame]

Reaction score
Kevin Costner did one of the worst Brit accents in history in his remake of Robin Hood. Actually, he did about six or seven of the worst accents that ran the gamut from Python Parody to mid-American Iowa. Guy sounded different in every scene.

JMV

Reaction score
I thought everyone across the pond sounded like this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLrrBs8JBQo]Braveheart In Defiance Of The English Tyranny! BRAVO - YouTube[/ame]

:laugh2::laugh2:

Reaction score
When anyone talks about a British accent I always think about a Roman soldier. I don't know why.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I always laugh at Christopher Plummer. He talks like he was born to an upper crust London family. He's from friggin Toronto!
He was born in Toronto but was raised outside Montreal (his mother worked at McGill) which makes it even worse!

Latest Threads