What about we who can't afford AC?

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We all know, I live in a single-wide mobile home 20 miles north of Seattle. It's fairly well insulated. It has double-pane windows. It holds up pretty well during our normal weather pattern. Our region is in for all-time record heat. Think 104F. I'm going to see how I weather this. Today is only going to be in the '80's. At 7AM the outside temp and inside temp hit 70. I have closed all the doors and windows. I have a big floor fan. I'm going to see how long it's going to take before I bake and die. :Ohno: Any tips?

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Portable AC from WalMart is pretty cheap… Use it only when you need to…

If no AC, get a window fan in back of trailer where you’re NOT, blowing OUT high and have other windows where you ARE , open to suck air through the house… Use a mister bottle with water, set on mist not spray, and keep your exposed skin damn so the moving air cools yo ass down…

Drink cold fluids…

Zungle

Reaction score
We all know, I live in a single-wide mobile home 20 miles north of Seattle. It's fairly well insulated. It has double-pane windows. It holds up pretty well during our normal weather pattern. Our region is in for all-time record heat. Think 104F. I'm going to see how I weather this. Today is only going to be in the '80's. At 7AM the outside temp and inside temp hit 70. I have closed all the doors and windows. I have a big floor fan. I'm going to see how long it's going to take before I bake and die. :Ohno: Any tips?
New forecast ........sat,sun,monday........101,108,110.......

Our population isn't adequately prepared for temps above 95.......

Tens of thousands are gonna be in major shock once it hits.......

Keep lots of water on hand, black-out west and southern windows if possible....

Find ways to keep stress down and keep emergency phone numbers where easily accesible.

Check in on other loved ones , make sure everyone is good.

Zungle

Reaction score
Portable AC from WalMart is pretty cheap… Use it only when you need to…

If no AC, get a window fan in back of trailer where you’re NOT blowing OUT high and have other windows where you ARE open to suck air through the house… Use a mister bottle with water, set on mist not spray, and keep your exposed skin damn so the moving air cools yo ass down…

Drink cold fluids…
Thinking....
Most stores in our region are totally out of air conditioners and fans......

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yep. This is the first time I did some research about temp behavior. We know how to deal with cold. Hot not.

Lungo

Reaction score
Get a floor unit for $350-$400.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 28x50 or so lake house… AC had to have some work done and would be down for a few days so I bought a portable from WalMart with the hoses from back that extendable plate mounted in window and sealed on sides to window size… Took a bit but it iced that entire house down… Occasionally drain the water but on no big issue… They work…

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
I plan on sitting in the air conditioned car if it gets too hot inside the house. Maybe going to the local mall to sit it out in their air conditioning.

Ordered a couple Arctic Air Pure Chill units, but doubt they'll arrive in time.

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We just whine a lot. :hippie: I can stand the few really hot days we have up here. My mobile home has 9 sliding windows in the living room + the front door. I would just leave a few open and let the air circulate. This time, I closing the home tight to determine the difference. It doesn't make sense letting super-heated into my abode.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I just bought a 5k Btu window one from WM for $130. It would at least give you one room that was nice to be in. That one went into my bedroom and the old one from there moved to my workshop.

I've never had central AC in my house. Can't afford to put it in right now and run it too but I use a larger window one downstairs and it does manage to keep over 1000 sq ft from being nasty despite only being able to fit a 12k Btu one in the window. And an hour before I go to bed I turn that off and turn on the one in my bedroom.

mdittman

Reaction score
Something else to consider is your instruments, especially any acoustics. Where I live we regularly see temps in the summer of over 100, and 110-115 are not unheard of. I once lived in a place with no ac and during a particularly hot spell I had a ukulele sitting on top of a tall bookcase. Since heat rises it must have been brutal up there. The top braces both popped off and had to be reglued. Luckily the top wood went back to it's original shape once it cooled for a while. You may want to consider moving your guitars to a friend's house for a while until those coolers arrive.

Latest Threads