What a waste

Phil47uk

Reaction score
The mentality is a legacy from the days of recession and the war.
In America's case it's fill up people's plates to an obscene extent when eating out . Eat what you can and throw the rest away , whereas the mindset in the UK is totally opposite and you'll find people putting leftovers back in the fridge to use another day and eat out portions are on par with what you'd eat at home.
As I said, these are merely the legacies from a bygone era.
It's an interesting topic and one we have observed on visits to various countries including many visits to the States.

English bacon sandwich vs American....:laugh2:

Bacon-sandwich.jpg

bacon-sandwich.jpg

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Phil's right you know. The English don't let anything go to waste.

Blurgh!

55869a32c884364e86437a1068c8ecbe_zpshrekxtrh.jpg

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Phil's right you know. The English don't let anything go to waste.

Blurgh!

55869a32c884364e86437a1068c8ecbe_zpshrekxtrh.jpg

Looks like some sort of eel pie...Yuk..
God knows who'd eat that , it makes me feel sick just looking at it...:shock:
Mind you Frank you old Kaintucks have to come in a close second...:laugh2:

possumB.jpg

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Waste not want not.

And that...I want not. :shock:

Although I must say the coon fat gravy sounds tempting. :hmm:

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
most of the produce I buy is from local farms / community gardens , and is organically grown

and wouldn't be bought at the local super mart for it's " imperfections " . I'm not even sure that some of the shoppers would recognise what a fresh bunch of red beets , or potatoes , or carrots / etc.. , even look like straight from the ground

but everyone wants big and shiny :dunno: . waxed and genetically modified . yuck !

even when the food gets home , the choppings get discarded ( instead of used for stock or compost ) . . . so add that to the price of per pound that one pays . I imagine that it could add up to thousands of dollars per yr , per family

Phil47uk

Reaction score
:laugh2: As I said earlier, it's all a legacy from the old days.

The American way of kicking lean times of the past was to go over the top with luxury items after the war. Cars as big as boats and humongous helpings of food.. It was basically a way of saying "Hey look we are an affluent country now, the American dream is alive and kicking.

The Brits on the other hand were much slower and less readily available with regard produce as everything was still rationed and they would go out and eat a steak at a restaurant simply because only a few years earlier it was a food that was not available to the man on the street and only considered a luxury of the rich.
The mindset of the Brits after the war and even today in some aspects is don't waste anything. Many older Brits will know what I'm talking about as they have undoubtedly seen their grandmothers and aunts clearing up from a meal and putting a few boiled potatoes and some cabbage which may have been left over back in the fridge to make another meal for another day.

(Tongue in cheek ) In the States you'd think there was a new all out war on livestock and anything that could fit in between two pieces of bread whereas in Britain you'd think we were still at war..:laugh2:

Spurholder

Reaction score
:laugh2: As I said earlier, it's all a legacy from the old days.

(Tongue in cheek ) In the States you'd think there was a new all out war on livestock and anything that could fit in between two pieces of bread whereas in Britain you'd think we were still at war..:laugh2:

Man, you're not kidding. Over here - even a good percentage of our homeless folks are morbidly obese.

:hmm:

Seriously.

Ermghoti

Reaction score
The mentality is a legacy from the days of recession and the war.
In America's case it's fill up people's plates to an obscene extent when eating out . Eat what you can and throw the rest away , whereas the mindset in the UK is totally opposite and you'll find people putting leftovers back in the fridge to use another day and eat out portions are on par with what you'd eat at home.
As I said, these are merely the legacies from a bygone era.
It's an interesting topic and one we have observed on visits to various countries including many visits to the States.

No, the real waste happens at the farm, the market, and the commercial kitchen. Sure, we overload our plates, but even at home, as much or more is thrown away as spoiled or perceived as spoiled than served and uneaten.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Waste not want not.

And that...I want not. :shock:

Although I must say the coon fat gravy sounds tempting. :hmm:

Coon fat tastes awful. That makes no sense.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Homer Simson meme. Your argument is invalid.

3962e6259832e52340dd486ddeeb2102_zpsjhzxuqgy.jpg

Besides, who am I s'posed to believe? You or this trusted Ebay seller?

84e6b67ae2a4ce8c2aefa730287c82f0_zpsm019ebft.jpg

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Talk about wasteful. This makes me feel a lot better about being an American.

5cd2d4c08e9c93d3d4a5c1621d7d67fa_zpsaelhcmnv.jpg

Phil47uk

Reaction score
No, the real waste happens at the farm, the market, and the commercial kitchen. Sure, we overload our plates, but even at home, as much or more is thrown away as spoiled or perceived as spoiled than served and uneaten.

Well, that's what I was saying. It's basically a different cultural mindset to say the UK for example where the whole war and early post war years made them very thrifty with food..There is no right and no wrong merely different.

Ermghoti

Reaction score
Well, that's what I was saying. It's basically a different cultural mindset to say the UK for example where the whole war and early post war years made them very thrifty with food..There is no right and no wrong merely different.

Gotcha, I didn't infer anything past "fill their plates," read literally. I agree, there is certainly a degree of "I'll waste what I want because I can" here.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Gotcha, I didn't infer anything past "fill their plates," read literally. I agree, there is certainly a degree of "I'll waste what I want because I can" here.

And there you nailed it on the head exactly..

In fact I said the exact same thing you just did in a conversation in another thread recently.

Whereas in post war America people were encouraged to drive big, eat big , walk tall, talk loud etc, The Brits on the other hand were made to feel guilty if they wasted as much as a potato and kids went to school with hand me downs and darned socks simply because the average family just couldn't afford luxuries until well in the 1960's. One must also take into account that London had to basically be re-built and rationing went well on into the 1950's.
I lived in London back then and our playgrounds were bomb sites.
I remember that three houses away from us was a bomb site and in fact all along the road there were houses.. Ruins,, Houses ruins.. One never gave it much of a thought as a kid but things for average families were tight and as a kid I'd go with my mum to queue up for her ration of butter and powdered eggs.. I don't think I had a real egg till I was at least five or six..:laugh2:

WWII_London_Blitz_East_London.jpg

From what we saw in films and newsreels the average Brit pictured suburban America in the 1950's like something out of 'Pleasantville'.
Hamburgers? What the f*ck was a hamburger?:shock:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9EHRObUQqY[/ame]

Back then, my Mother worked in a hotel in Coventry St just off Leicester Square and I had my first hamburger in the very first fast food hamburger outlet in the UK, when Lyons turned one of it's restaurants in Coventry St London into a Wimpy bar around 1955.
Wow! I liked those and would sometimes go to work with my mum just so I could have a hamburger..It was like some sort of ambrosia of the Gods..:laugh2:

My Mum worked here and the first Wimpy hamburger bar was just along the road on the right of the pic.

2012_06_08_10_39_20.jpg

Latest Threads