What a pile of suckage today.

scott1970

Reaction score
Some years ago we had a city manager who was really into eating properly and exercising. As a result, he thought it would be a dandy idea if the city created a gym for fire and police. So, he did so. It's a nice gym with lots of free weights and a wide variety of nice machines. On top of that, the chief allows us to workout on duty if it doesn't interfere with our calls. That doesn't happen for me, so I hit the gym practically every day I'm on duty. Plus, the chief lets us drive our patrol cars to the gym on our off days. What's not to love about that arrangement?

Today the gym has been closed permanently, because the old building that houses it has been deemed a liability by the city's insurance provider. I seriously doubt our current city manager, Mr. Humpty Dumpty, will do anything to find a new location for the many thousands of dollars of equipment the city has purchased, but I will have to wait and see.

scott1970

Reaction score
While I wait on nothing to be done about the gym I'll be joining a new 24 hour gym that opened up in town. They're charging twenty bucks a month with no contract for cops and second responders. I'll sincerely miss having an entire gym to myself which was usually the case. No more NPR and LGBTQ+ updates blasting over the speakers.

I Break Things

Reaction score
While I wait on nothing to be done about the gym I'll be joining a new 24 hour gym that opened up in town. They're charging twenty bucks a month with no contract for cops and second responders. I'll sincerely miss having an entire gym to myself which was usually the case. No more NPR and LGBTQ+ updates blasting over the speakers.
At least there's an alternative, even if it costs a bit and you have to deal with... People... Yuck...

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I lost my workout gym when we moved up to OKC. Not as nice an arrangement as yours, but it worked for me. Nothing here is even close. I sure do miss that. I have not found something that kept me that motivated for gym workouts before or since.

Olds442

Reaction score
maybe a bunch of you can help push the "don't let the thousands we spent get wasted" narrative?

Olds442

Reaction score
You do realize we are talking about government here.
so what you're saying is, since the place is in such disrepair, burglars will probably end up with the workout machines?

Foo for Thought

Reaction score
Maybe they'll have a fire sale on the equipment and you can build a killer garage gym?

scott1970

Reaction score
If I had to guess, it will either sit there as is and collect dust for years or it will be piled up and ruined by being "stored" in some other city owned building, at which time various pieces of equipment will grow legs and walk away. The other option would be for council to approve selling it which will put it on the govdeals auction website.

I'll be checking out the pay gym tomorrow. I've heard it's nice. It can't be as bad as eating in public while on duty which I stopped doing years ago.

nauc

Reaction score
not trying to be a dick but it was a bad idea to begin with. people that need motivation to work out, shouldnt work out

i use dumbbells at home, and listen to podcasts, its great. its cheap, no dick heads to deal with and i dont have to go anywhere. win win win

scott1970

Reaction score
not trying to be a dick but it was a bad idea to begin with. people that need motivation to work out, shouldnt work out

i use dumbbells at home, and listen to podcasts, its great. its cheap, no dick heads to deal with and i dont have to go anywhere. win win win

I don't follow as to what was a bad idea to begin with. Having free access to a nice, private gym was a great thing that a number of us regularly took full advantage of. Getting paid to use it was nice, but it was never an incentive to get me into the gym. There's nothing that will motivate a number of my co-workers to change their ways except maybe a massive heart attack, and I doubt that would get the attention of some of them. I work with a number of guys who outweigh me by a hundred or more pounds, and these are guys my height or shorter. Those folks don't motivate.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
So no more gym for school kids because of liability risk?

:hmm:

JTM45

Reaction score
Damn man, I was thinking you got your new cruiser and someone ran into you or something.

People are making some strange decisions based on what they call liability right now, the unintended consequences will rear their ugly heads in the not too distant future, sorry man it truly does suck

scott1970

Reaction score
I forgot about my thread of frustration, until it popped up this morning from someone's liking it. So, here's the update all of y'all have been dying for.

Most all of us who used the city gym regularly immediately joined one of the gyms in town. The chief then sent out an email to the department encouraging us not to run out and pay money for a gym as they were diligently working on finding a new location for the city gym. During a supervisor's meeting he even mentioned not appreciating the officers' lack of patience while they worked so diligently to correct the issue. Yeah, whatever. I'm a few months away from twenty years here, and I know things work.

So, zero has changed since the day they closed the gym minus the padlocks they put on all gym doors. Just to needle the chief, I asked the status of the gym's future location during last month's meeting. He shrugged and said if we had any solutions, he'd take them to city hall.

Developers want that big lot the old school occupies, so I assume condemning the structure is the beginning stage of eventually selling it for good money. The building itself is built like a tank and is as solid as the day it was completed.

Zungle

Reaction score
it was a bad idea to begin with. people that need motivation to work out, shouldnt work out
4A4F4538-0635-4DA5-8318-787E3BBB13F5.jpeg

Latest Threads