What’s your vise ?

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
I was lucky enough my friend had two of Emmett pattern makers vises . Finally installed some plywood jaws for my Les Paul build.
If you ever see one at a yard sale grab it you won’t be disappointed !
It will clamp anything

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting a big wood bench vise for years. I've got two typical cast metal vises on eack end of a ten-foot shop bench, one big and one little. I'd love to put the little one somewhere else and install a proper wood vise in it's place.

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
I have had 3 StewMac and 1 woodcraft patternmakers vises over the years. Basically the same vise though SM is upgraded and is
Much smoother to use. It is one of the most essential tool in my shop

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have had 3 StewMac and 1 woodcraft patternmakers vises over the years. Basically the same vise though SM is upgraded and is
Much smoother to use. It is one of the most essential tool in my shop

I've been gettin' by with the metal vises. But that's it.. just gettin' by. I've learned to use them with wood blocks, etc etc.

I need to "un-learn" that and install a proper set of wood vises.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I do also have the SM nut and saddle vise and that thing is handy as heck. I find myself using it for a lot of stuff aside from nuts and saddles too.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I need one of these:

images.jpg

Key thing is, it's level with the bench. A huge plus in many ways.

And one of these:

download (1).jpg

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I do also have the SM nut and saddle vise and that thing is handy as heck. I find myself using it for a lot of stuff aside from nuts and saddles too.

I've adapted my drill press vise to that purpose and more.

DaveR

Reaction score
I have both the traditional face vise and the Stew Mac pattern maker vise. I don’t know how I lived without the pattern maker vise. I use it for so much that has nothing to do with guitars and it’s indispensable for neck making in my opinion. I have several holes in my bench so I can move it around and have even mounted it in my drill press table a couple of times. Worth every penny and then some even at SMs ridiculous prices, but as I understand the green woodcraft version is just as good and often comes up cheaper.

The face vice is nice to have, but my bench is a little on the short side and I don’t have any dog holes so that limits it’s use. One of these days when I give up on still trying to stuff cars into my shop, I’ll have a real woodworking bench with dogs and proper face and tail vises.

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
I have both the traditional face vise and the Stew Mac pattern maker vise. I don’t know how I lived without the pattern maker vise. I use it for so much that has nothing to do with guitars and it’s indispensable for neck making in my opinion. I have several holes in my bench so I can move it around and have even mounted it in my drill press table a couple of times. Worth every penny and then some even at SMs ridiculous prices, but as I understand the green woodcraft version is just as good and often comes up cheaper.

The face vice is nice to have, but my bench is a little on the short side and I don’t have any dog holes so that limits it’s use. One of these days when I give up on still trying to stuff cars into my shop, I’ll have a real woodworking bench with dogs and proper face and tail vises.
Mine has a Department of Defense tag from WW2 . I find mine indispensable. I’m working on my first guitar build and I thought of neck building immediately.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Stewmac guitar vise, and I also have this guy...

Its a leg vise primarily for blacksmith work, and I use it constantly in that pursuit.
Its made entirely of solid steel forgings, not cast iron. You can clamp hot steel in it, and bash on it with a sledge hammer and it wont crack or bend. The function of the leg is to transfer excess impact shock into the ground to dissipate it rather than containing it in the vise. Cast iron in this application wouldn't survive the work. This particular vise weighs about 70 lbs, is around 80-90 years old, and I purchased it from an estate sale. They are hard to come by and not cheap.

Interestingly, Ive used it fairly often building guitars too. Most recently just last week as I found carving a neck on a neck-through guitar is pretty easy when I clamp the guitar in my giant clamp, and then clamp the giant clamp in the leg vise.

hold it firm as anything and puts it at just the right height and easy access from all sides...

legv.jpg

Actually I just noticed that in addition to the guitar and leg vise in the foreground, you can also see the aforementioned stewmac vise in the far back upper left corner of this pic :)

neck_carve01.jpg

Last edited:

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
I have the Stewmac guitar vise, and I also have this guy...

Its a leg vise primarily for blacksmith work, and I use it constantly in that pursuit, but Ive used it fairly often building guitars too. Most recently just last week as I found carving a neck on a neck-through guitar is pretty easy when I clamp the guitar in my giant clamp, and then clamp the giant clamp in the leg vise.

hold it firm as anything and puts it at just the right height and easy access from all sides...

View attachment 609384

Actually I just noticed that in addition to the guitar and leg vise in the foreground, you can also see the aforementioned stewmac vise in the far back upper left corner of this pic :)

View attachment 609385
Cool vise !!!!! It’s amazing the variety of vises out there. I would sen a picture of mine but it keeps telling me that the file is too big what’s the trick I’m just use an iPhone?????

Roxy13

Reaction score
The SM one is 15% off right now if anyone was looking to buy it.

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
Cool vise !!!!! It’s amazing the variety of vises out there. I would sen a picture of mine but it keeps telling me that the file is too big what’s the trick I’m just use an iPhone?????
Send the picture to yourself via email. When prompted, select Med size and it will downsize the picture to fit on forums.

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
This my Emmett pattern makers vise it rotates 360, it flips up 90 degrees and jaws angle to grab un square shapes.
They made some real Gems for tools in the WW2 era. Thanks for everyone’s response to this thread !!!

Attachments

• 6E518979-105C-47C4-A4D8-C8527C22DD17.jpeg
    6E518979-105C-47C4-A4D8-C8527C22DD17.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 5

Latest Threads