What’s your favorite P90 brand?

blix

Reaction score
Been thinking about getting another les Paul with p90s and just wanted to hear suggestions on some of your favorite p90 builders.

Frogfur

Reaction score
Been thinking about getting another les Paul with p90s and just wanted to hear suggestions on some of your favorite p90 builders.
The kind that comes on the guitar i bought ?
As far as the production manufacturer's go, Gibson.

Blue Blood

Reaction score
Fralin !
American made and great service.
They built a dogear bridge for me, it's every bit as good as the numerous vintage Gibson p90's I've owned.

(vintage juniors to 60's SG special)

Brewdude

Reaction score
Vintage Gibson ('54 in my case), ReWind, ECP and then a distant 4th Gibson Custom Shop from a Wildwood spec 330 that has supposedly lower wind P90s. The Custom Shop are actually the only set of new Gibson pickups I've ever liked, they just lacked some of the definition that the other winders have.

My ReWind and ECP's are both based on the early 50's P90s and are very clear and articulate like a good single coil, fantastic for cleans and just absolutely rip when distorted. You really can't go wrong with either brand IMO, James (@cooljuk) is a totally class act so I wholeheartedly recommend you listen to his youtube demos and strike up a conversation with him about what you're looking for.

The vintage set I have are phenomenal, any doubts I had about the mystical powers of vintage wire were squashed as soon as I plugged into this set. Absolutely never leaving this guitar or my ownership...

Pappy58

Reaction score
Fralin !
American made and great service.
They built a dogear bridge for me, it's every bit as good as the numerous vintage Gibson p90's I've owned.

(vintage juniors to 60's SG special)
Second! Fralin is top of the line! :welcome:

red_house356

Reaction score
Early '52-53 Gibson p90 and '56 (my Les Paul Junior) if we're talking vintage.

If it's modern, Rewind Electric is the way to go. You'll be saving a lot of coin and be grinning as soon as you strum that first chord. I don't think I'll be buying vintage p90s unless it's for a restoration. I don't feel the need to since James winds a killer p90.

blix

Reaction score
Ok, well I’ll start this journey with a ReWind cool 90 neck I found on Reverb. Should be here in a few days.

Reactions: Who

filtersweep

Reaction score
Its a P90. No need for unobtanium bobbins or whatever. Gibson’s are quite fine for my tin ears.

My cheapo Tribute sounds awesome as is. It isn’t like there are a million variations- like PAFs.

blix

Reaction score
Vintage Gibson.

I like what I find in the early 50's and the very end of the 50's guitars.

So what’s going on with the mid 50’s p90s compared to the early and late 50’s?

Saiko

Reaction score
Lindy Fralin, and not just because he's in my hometown and I can go by the shop. Best P90s I've heard apart from 50's Gibson.

Latest Threads