What’s with the Tommy Thayer Hate?

fry

Reaction score
14A7B667-1E92-4F14-B87F-ACE1C105104F.jpeg
I did not initially like Tommy portraying the spaceman character, it bothered me. Then I saw them live, and Tommy kind of kicked ass. I was able to get over it. I still don’t care for him putting out products called “spaceman”. You know, the signature guitars, and he even put out a Hughes and Kettner signature model amp. It had Ace makeup symbol on the front.

horax

Reaction score
Not to bring up a 'dead' thread....but I'm good at it.

I think tommy is a phenomenal guitarist. Way more techincal than Ace ever will be.
Ace is awesome, and totally cool. They both are way more gifted than I will ever be.

I like them both for what they've brought to the KISS stage over the years. Unfortunately for Ace, the Spaceman persona and all that is licensed and owned by KISS as a company, and Ace is no longer part of that company. Tommy, however, is, so he reaps the benefits of playing the character owned by KISS.

It's cool that Ace still has his face on his LP's, though. He deserves at least that much.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I think its because he uses Ace's makeup and not his own so I have heard...

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
He is like a step child no one likes....

The very idea that the emotional attachment, that we as Ace fans have has been violated....that's the basic reason....its primal ....wierd how that comes into play....

He remains outside the heard....shut out of the pack....

I don't even know him...

But the perceived betrayal of Ace was never taken well...

The thing is, He decided to leave the band in the late 70's....

What are Gene and Paul supposed to do? (not defending anyone) we just don't know the ACTUAL full story...

Now there is suddenly all sorts of very nasty dirt out on all of them (except Peter) .....

Could this be hype....they get paid ....from the hype...its their Schtick ....

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I could honestly not care less, except for the weirdness of him wearing Ace's makeup and clothes. And then, I still don't really care, as I stopped listening at Love Gun.

Rotorhead

Reaction score
Not to bring up a 'dead' thread....but I'm good at it.

I think tommy is a phenomenal guitarist. Way more techincal than Ace ever will be.
Ace is awesome, and totally cool. They both are way more gifted than I will ever be.

I like them both for what they've brought to the KISS stage over the years. Unfortunately for Ace, the Spaceman persona and all that is licensed and owned by KISS as a company, and Ace is no longer part of that company. Tommy, however, is, so he reaps the benefits of playing the character owned by KISS.

It's cool that Ace still has his face on his LP's, though. He deserves at least that much.
Last I knew, Ace still owned the license to his stuff and basically leases the character likeness to the band, although it's possible he sold the rights off in the past few years.

Peter sold his likeness off years ago and doesn't make a from it now.

ns2a

Reaction score
Last I knew, Ace still owned the license to his stuff and basically leases the character likeness to the band, although it's possible he sold the rights off in the past few years.

Peter sold his likeness off years ago and doesn't make a from it now.
Nope. Ace sold it. Hasn’t been “Ace’s makeup “ for 24 years.

Bluesky

Reaction score
HiS net worth is 11 Million! Thats like 3 times Ace........what does that tell you about ACE? Lol.....more power to him.

Rotorhead

Reaction score
HiS net worth is 11 Million! Thats like 3 times Ace........what does that tell you about ACE? Lol.....more power to him.
It just tells me Ace is no longer part of KISS, Inc. Tommy's net worth is simply the benefit of being an employee of that corporation.

Beyond that, he's nothing more than a character actor, forever burdened by the association of the character he portrays. Much like a child star such as Todd Bridges or Danny Bonaduce, he won't amount to much once the show is canceled.

His best hope is for Gene and Paul to give him their blessings to carry on the circus act without any original members once they retire.

Bluesky

Reaction score
It just tells me Ace is no longer part of KISS, Inc. Tommy's net worth is simply the benefit of being an employee of that corporation.

Beyond that, he's nothing more than a character actor, forever burdened by the association of the character he portrays. Much like a child star such as Todd Bridges or Danny Bonaduce, he won't amount to much once the show is canceled.

His best hope is for Gene and Paul to give him their blessings to carry on the circus act without any original members once they retire.
Lol. Wow. Hate much? :lol:

ACE was given 2-3 chances to be "a part of this corporation " in almost every decade. Hes also had reasonable success as a solo artist . Wheres all that money? ACE .....I love him but he's a tool. A complete fool. A moron.

Tommy did well for a guitar Tech. Many 80s guitarists are broke painting houses somewhere. Tommy is set for life . His best bet is Porsche or Mercedes when he retires.........

Rotorhead

Reaction score
Lol. Wow. Hate much? :lol:

ACE was given 2-3 chances to be "a part of this corporation " in almost every decade. Hes also had reasonable success as a solo artist . Wheres all that money? ACE .....I love him but he's a tool. A complete fool. A moron.

Tommy did well for a guitar Tech. Many 80s guitarists are broke painting houses somewhere. Tommy is set for life . His best bet is Porsche or Mercedes when he retires.........
Not much hate, really. It's more like disgust and contempt for the situation. Take Tommy out and put any other name in his place under the same circumstances and I'd feel the same.

But yes, Ace is his own worst enemy in terms of his situation with the band. He had his chances.

Latest Threads