What’s a good T-Top clone?

motorcobra

Reaction score
I think James Williamson had T-Tops in his custom and I can nail that sound with my Bareknuckle Riff Raff bridge pickup.

BKS

Reaction score
The ceramic magnet pickups from that period are a little taller/thicker. As in the distance from the top of the cover to the bottom of the baseplate is greater, due to the thicker magnet and spacers, inside.

The sound would be significantly different between a ceramic and AlNiCo magnet. The ceramic models are much louder and tighter sounding. Not quite a Super Distortion, but in that direction.
Just out of curiosity...
These are both my ttops.... Forget the s h a w
Could you tell from these if this one has ceramic magnet? :oops: i asume the cover is not original that is why i ask.

DSC_3036_compress69.jpg
DSC_3034_compress26.jpg
DSC_3033_compress94.jpg

jbash

Reaction score
I think James Williamson had T-Tops in his custom and I can nail that sound with my Bareknuckle Riff Raff bridge pickup.
Riff Raff is pretty much a Patent # "clone", I believe- very similar to a T top except for the wire (Plain Enamel vs. SPN )

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity...
These are both my ttops.... Forget the s h a w
Could you tell from these if this one has ceramic magnet? :oops: i asume the cover is not original that is why i ask.

View attachment 489321 View attachment 489322 View attachment 489323
I can't tell from the photos. Get some calipers, put a cover on the uncovered one, and measure the thickness from the top of the cover to the bottom of the baseplate on both and compare. If the gold covered one is then the same thickness as your presently uncovered patent number decal T-Top, they are both AlNiCo, pending the magnets are both original.

FWIW - the gold cover does look original to me. ...but the solder obviously isn't. Maybe that's what you meant, but just in case you were doubting the actual cover, I think it's original from what I see.

BKS

Reaction score
I can't tell from the photos. Get some calipers, put a cover on the uncovered one, and measure the thickness from the top of the cover to the bottom of the baseplate on both and compare. If the gold covered one is then the same thickness as your presently uncovered patent number decal T-Top, they are both AlNiCo, pending the magnets are both original.

FWIW - the gold cover does look original to me. ...but the solder obviously isn't. Maybe that's what you meant, but just in case you were doubting the actual cover, I think it's original from what I see.
I had send it to tonespinner pickups, hookup wire was really short on it and previous owner change it to be able to split coils. I had him restore it and ad a new longer hookup wire. He gave me the info after i asked. Also gave me the reading of the pu 7.7 kOhm and L =3.19 H. So i know this pickup has been uncovered before.... And it actually came in my Tokai strat, i know nothing from wich guitar it original came. The decal ttop is out an early seventies sg neck.

Latest Threads