What‘s the latest news on the Eric Clapton Beano Burst having been found?

Gretev1

Reaction score

years ago Joe Bonamassa alleged that he knows the whereabouts and current owner of the Beano Burst and further claims that it is in fact a 1959 Les Paul burst. Does anyone know the follow up to this story?

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Why come out with an obscure teaser like that.
He fucked up by mentioning it at all. Either a) he's full of shit and just made it up to get attention, or b) he's right, and he now has exposed someone to legal / financial jeopardy based on heresay.
He recanted his statement a few weeks later.

goldtop0

Reaction score
The age old around and around we go topic..........things are quiet out there right now :rofl:

Imagine when it does come to light.......the conjecture as to whether it is actually the Beanoburst will be rife.......Eric will have to proclaim.....Yes it's the Beano......and then we can all stay away from our keyboards:laugh2:

Gretev1

Reaction score
I'm more interested in Bloomfield's burst, which is out there. (I was made aware of how to get it relatively recently if I wanted it.) At least that guitar can be identified. Beano - how will anyone know?
True, Beano is definitely difficult to identify I would assume just as difficult for Eric Clapton‘s old eyes (no disrespect to the god). Please do share the Bloomfield Burst story as that is one that also interests me. Or make a new thread about this topic. I always wondered about how it got stolen/lost. You hear a bunch of stories.I have also always wondered about how Bloomfield acquired it in the first place and when he switched out the tone and volume knobs for the reflector and speed knobs he installed. Just little details like that. What guitars they came from etc. There is surprisingly little info available online about that guitar given it‘s notoriety. Where is that burst now? Still in the US?

Last edited:

RAG7890

Reaction score
I'm more interested in Bloomfield's burst, which is out there. (I was made aware of how to get it relatively recently if I wanted it.) At least that guitar can be identified. Beano - how will anyone know?
Regardless of how you spin it, this is also a stolen Guitar IMHO.

So much bad Karma around this one.

RIP MB.

:cheers2:

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Regardless of how you spin it, this is also a stolen Guitar IMHO.

So much bad Karma around this one.

RIP MB.

:cheers2:
No doubt. Probably the main reason I didn't spend any effort going after it.

I had read that the guitar was taken by the club owner as a result of him not showing up for a gig. Who knows exactly what happened.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
When you think about it, what good is having it? If you put it up for sale and advertise it as the one-and-only-genuine-honest-to-God Beano LP, no one is going to buy a knowingly-stolen guitar, especially that one. Receiving and concealing stolen property still applies even though it was stolen 54 years ago.

Is there some underground group of collectors who deal is this type of stuff amongst themselves like stolen art?

Latest Threads