We've been warned!

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
There was a hilarious comment on the youtube video while it existed. I hope somebody archived it.
"Mark, please blink twice if they are hurting you"

also, "Hollywood, we will sue your pants off, or if you reach out to us, maybe even work with you."
I felt suitably threatened and shamed, but I am over it now.

warprider

Reaction score
Mark knew what he was getting into when he signed up. I couldn't have done what he said in the video. I feel sorry for him.

Puppetry at it's finest. That was not the way forward by Gibson as proved by the fact the video had been taken down. When are they gonna learn?

ihavenofish

Reaction score
Gibson wont learn. They are at a point in their life where they do not (think) they make anything of value, and trade only on the logo.

This of course isn't really true. Look at fender and how they still thrive without owning their body shapes at all.

Gibson needs to realise they are a guitar company and not an IP company - then they can move on and might actually survive.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Haven't seen the vid, but I would assume by "rival guitar builders", he means other companies, that produce LP, SG, etc-inspired designed guitars?

If so, I agree. Too many companies are piggie-backing on Gibson's legacy.

ihavenofish

Reaction score
Everyone should make their own innovative designs... But Gibson's legacy? "a long time ago we made something people didn't like very much, discontinued it, then started making it again when some aging hippies started playing them and will sue everyone that sneezes" That's their legacy.

Becker34

Reaction score
Looks like Gibson yanked the video - it shows up "video pulled by user."

Without seeing the video, I have no frame of reference nor do I have any sense of the tone used by Mark, or how Mark was produced to deliver the message.

That being said, I have no issue with a company protecting their intellectual property.

Could it have been done better? Probably. Was it even necessary? I dunno. But again, I haven't seen the video.

Were they going after every single cut guitar? Chibson? Guys building one or several guitars in their shops?

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
I made a strap last month for a new builder friend Derek of Big D guitars. He posted this "small builders reaction" vid
on the weekend.

if you bug him enough, he says he downloaded the "Authentic" video and might post it to reddit or something.

valvetoneman

Reaction score
If we're talking les paul body shape just look at the original bigsby merle travis model from 1948, looks very much like a LP body shape to me, they didn't just dream that up, they obviously rounded the horn etc but it's essentially the same look imo

The old company is long gone, they just need realistic prices and products as good or better than what's out there

paulmarr

Reaction score
Mark is just trying to be a You Tube star ... he tried starting his own channel after Norman’s Rare Guitars gave him a profile and it has gone miserably .... kids doing Mindcraft videos dwarfing his small subscription base ... lets get serious ... China is making more Gibson guitars than Gibson is ... controversy doesn’t always guarantee a future on You tube ... lol

fleahead

Reaction score
Suits are gonna be suits, even if they wear leathers. THAT was a pretty stupid marketing move. It didn't make it's way to YT without approval from the top and that should concern us all. Threatening and condescending at the same time. Make fine guitars the way your base has wanted, realize a lot of IP claims have left the harbor (proven expensively with bouts from Washburn to PRS) and quit trying to be the heavy-handed bully.

To take it down so quickly shows what a mis-calculation that was but doesn't remove the underlying attitude that drove it. I'm all for protection of trademarks, etc. but at a certain point just stfu and continue improving the brand's QC and image. THAT is what's going to keep Gibson in business because that's what sells the product....

Norton

Reaction score
First - the TM protections Mark and Gibson are threatening to bring down on all pretenders don’t much exist.

There is NO tm for a single cut carved top double cut body, none for 3 on a side headstock none for color schemes or binding appointments.

Which makes this threatening, tone deaf PR nightmare of a PR video as stupid as it is pointless.

So much factual garbage to unpack from that vid that it’s best to just call it an epic failure.

And I am a fan of Gibson guitars and liked Agnesi’s guitar is the day vids.

Dick Banks

Reaction score
In her business, my wife gets threatening letters from lawyers frequently concerning domain names she owns on behalf of her clients--typically containing the clients' trademarked company names.

First they try to buy the name, and then if she won't sell, they threaten her with lawsuits. They would love to bully the company out of its legally-acquired company name. They threaten to put liens on the company, tie it up in court, etc. unless they forfeit rights to the name immediately.

These letters all find their way to her lawyer, who I suspect probably scans them in and then just tosses them.

Once a woman actually called on her in person and told her that if she didn't sell her the company, she was going to just pirate all the websites and put her out of business. My wife just told her to take her best shot. [There are safeguards for this.] Never heard from her again.

Point being--sometimes scary threats work, and sometimes they just don't. This one will likely be the latter.

Becker34

Reaction score

Stinky Kitty

Premium Member
Reaction score
I asked this question in the other thread..

Isn't the Gibson brand just a knock off of The Heritage, after leaving behind the original craftsmen, tools, and tooling in Kalamazoo when they moved production to Nashville?