Were Gibson truss rods straight before 1960?

Crusader

Reaction score
I've seen this thread talking about truss rods and some people saying Gibson's truss rods had no curve before 1960

I haven't found any info or pictures from Googling this so can anyone shed some light? Got any pictures?

The only thing I found is and it says they had a curve

Wallied

Reaction score
Don't know about Gibson's other models, but AFAIK, the curved truss rod channels became a thing on LPs mid '60, and before that they were straight. And '61(?) they came up with the first SG and stopped making LPs.

ARandall

Reaction score
Yes, the vintage TR was straight. But the channel was not level as was mentioned in that thread. Also in that thread was mentioned the depth that the rod channel was cut to.......by people who have made accurate build plans of Les Pauls.
What is a picture going to give you over and above what accurate measurements and specific plans won't??

Crusader

Reaction score
Yes, the vintage TR was straight. But the channel was not level as was mentioned in that thread. Also in that thread was mentioned the depth that the rod channel was cut to.......by people who have made accurate build plans of Les Pauls.
What is a picture going to give you over and above what accurate measurements and specific plans won't??
From what I've read it sounds like the truss rod forms a triangle with the fretboard line. I have seen plenty of pictures of Fender necks cut down the middle and maybe some Gibsons with curved truss rods but never a straight one

Seeing is believing

nuance97

Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve built 5 Les Pauls. All had a straight tapered truss rod route 1/2” at nut and 5/8” at the tenon. They all function flawlessly. Mahogany is much less stiff than the hard maple that Fender necks are made from, and it takes less force to correct string pull on a mahogany neck. You can certainly put a curved rod in a Gibson style neck and it will work, but it is not necessary

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Gibson's 1923 patent shows a curved rod -- although it's curved the opposite of modern rods.
Patent-1923-US1446758-Gibson-Truss-Rod-Screen-Shot-197x300.gif

And post '60 Gibsons mostly have curved rods. So for a long time, a lot of people assumed all Gibson rods have some sort of curve. Back before the internet, the few people who had dissected vintage necks didn't have a way to spread their knowledge.
-----------------------
I'm really curious if the earliest adjustable rods had the inverted curve as shown in the patent. If so, when did they switch to the straight, deep-set angled rods? Did all '50s Gibsons have straight rods?

nuance97

Premium Member
Reaction score
Gibson's 1923 patent shows a curved rod -- although it's curved the opposite of modern rods. View attachment 501242

And post '60 Gibsons mostly have curved rods. So for a long time, a lot of people assumed all Gibson rods have some sort of curve. Back before the internet, the few people who had dissected vintage necks didn't have a way to spread their knowledge.
-----------------------
I'm really curious if the earliest adjustable rods had the inverted curve as shown in the patent. If so, when did they switch to the straight, deep-set angled rods? Did all '50s Gibsons have straight rods?
I don’t know how a reverse curve could straighten a neck...wonder if they drew it wrong deliberately in the patent to throw would-be idea thieves off the scent :hmm:

strayedstrater

Reaction score
I don’t know how a reverse curve could straighten a neck...wonder if they drew it wrong deliberately in the patent to throw would-be idea thieves off the scent :hmm:
Pondering that myself. But that's a crazy thick neck, and the rod is set so deep that I think it might still work.

I'm wondering if the different curves (or lack thereof) was related to neck thickness. Reverse curve on the super fat pre-war necks, straight for the chunky '50s, then the modern curve when they went to skinnier necks?

nuance97

Premium Member
Reaction score
Pondering that myself. But that's a crazy thick neck, and the rod is set so deep that I think it might still work.

I'm wondering if the different curves (or lack thereof) was related to neck thickness. Reverse curve on the super fat pre-war necks, straight for the chunky '50s, then the modern curve when they went to skinnier necks?
Yeah maybe it would work...after thinking about it some more. I’ve never seen one like that though

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Luckily nothing broken. Leaning over in a turn and hit a gravel patch on the road. Black and blue. Road rash on my leg. Left hand aching...I think my thumb popped out of joint and then back in....dunno, happened so fast.
But I have band practice on Friday and there's no way I'll be playing the solo in My Sharona!

nuance97

Premium Member
Reaction score
Luckily nothing broken. Leaning over in a turn and hit a gravel patch on the road. Black and blue. Road rash on my leg. Left hand aching...I think my thumb popped out of joint and then back in....dunno, happened so fast.
But I have band practice on Friday and there's no way I'll be playing the solo in My Sharona!
Glad it wasn’t worse! Wow

Latest Threads