Went to see Tommy Emmanuel last night.

KP

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is not bad on the electric either.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae70lkdAzJs]YouTube - Tommy Emmanuel - Electric Guitar[/ame]

Sgt.Pepper

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I knew Tommy and his brother Phil way back in Australia. They could both play on the harmonics like nothing I'd ever seen, in fact they could just play like nothing I'd ever seen.

GrinningElk

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I must admit it was the most impressive performance by a solo artist I've ever seen. Simply amazing.....

Adwex

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Seen him twice, I'll never forget it.
Words can't even describe how talented and entertaining he is.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmazingJourney

Reaction score
I must admit it was the most impressive performance by a solo artist I've ever seen. Simply amazing.....

+1
We saw him while on vacation in Nashville, at the Grand Ole Opry. He stole the show that night. Brad Paisley was on that night too, but Tommy definitely stole the show.

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Kiss his arse he's the dogs bollocks! Love him!

slither

Reaction score
I saw him at The Drummoyne Hotel in the inner west of Sydney back in the late 80's. A more bluesy show than he does now, but just so bloody amazing. Glad to see him getting kudos internationally.

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah, he's so good it's depressing. He plays guitar, everybody else is just posing.

circusboy28

Reaction score
Yep, I've seen Tommy play live on several occasions, every time he has been amazing.

I was fortunate enough to meet him a few years ago - his modesty and humility just shone through. I talked a bit about guitars and he made me feel like an equal - and believe me I'm not! Just a very nice man, as well as being incredibly talented. This was at a church function at my ex-wife's church......

slither

Reaction score
Yep, I've seen Tommy play live on several occasions, every time he has been amazing.

I was fortunate enough to meet him a few years ago - his modesty and humility just shone through. I talked a bit about guitars and he made me feel like an equal - and believe me I'm not! Just a very nice man, as well as being incredibly talented. This was at a church function at my ex-wife's church......

You are indeed a blessed man! I think in general this is a trait of Aussie's, even sucessful ones. They keep their feet on the ground, they don't forget where they came from, they don't think they are better than anyone else. Basically they aren't up themselves. Of course Shane Warne is the exception that proves the rule. Our English friends will be well aware of what I mean.

Eldar

Reaction score
I want to go see him :( Living in Australia, one would think it'd be easy....He was on the news a few weeks ago though, with the weather guy.

slither

Reaction score
I saw that too. Last I heard he was touring Europe, I didn't know he was touring the States now.

JBLesPaul107

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLIT1nFMZSw&feature=related]YouTube - Tommy Emmanuel - Somewhere Over the Rainbow[/ame]

Here is Tommy playing in Lexington KY... Amazing

GrinningElk

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Can anyone figure out what kind of guitar he plays? We met him in his dressing room and he wouldn't say.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this post. I didn't realize he was in my neck of the woods. I bought tickets to one of his shows next month.

Frank

Harpozep

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Met him a number of times. he's ALWYS a great gentleman to his fans. And what a performer.
Here are some shots I've taken of him. I've created some wallpaper/posters s for him too.
Good man who can play anything he puts his mind to all the while emoting some amazing feelings to the listener.

50703341.jpg

50703343.jpg

Go see Tommy whenever you can. He has toned down the number of shows he does considerably after his heart problems last year.
50703199.jpg

More pics here:
tommy_e_cambridge Photo Gallery by Robert Miller at pbase.com

Tommy Emmanuel Guitarist! Photo Gallery by Robert Miller at pbase.com

here's one from '02 when I caught him on tour with Stephen Bennett. Man THAT was a concert!
48883567.jpg

Harpozep

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this post. I didn't realize he was in my neck of the woods. I bought tickets to one of his shows next month.

Frank

Frank, when and where? I usually catch him when he plays Cambridge. Is he at the Jazz club again?

GeeJay

Reaction score
I've seen him a few times and met him at the bar once (in Alexanders in Chester) and we chatted for 10 minutes or so. I mentioned that I had his 'Determination' album and that I liked his version of Imagine. He said 'wow that's from a while ago, haven't played that for ages'.. About an hour later, he played Imagine as part of his set. :)

He is a really nice guy, totally genuine and one of the very best guitarists there is. Top bloke..

Latest Threads