Went to BCR.. got my hands on a Daylighter!!

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
I went down to BCR today to do some business with the Sensei.. drop of the H.E.L. V for Greg and Ryan to check out, see some old friends and generally be a nuisance...

and whilst yapping over my hatred of nuclear power plants.. I eyeballed some formica over Gregs Shoulder..

YEP.. It was a Kauer!!

A Daylighter Jr. with the Formica top!!

Didn't know he had got one in!!

Thing makes me want to go on down to the Burger Stand in my 32 rat rod with the raccoon tail on the antenna and hang out with Skeeter and Bowser!!

NEAT-O!

2011-07-26152916-1.jpg

EnjoGuitar

Reaction score
That's awesome! :thumb:

Kauer's got a bright future ahead of 'em.

How'd it play and sound, good sir? :hmm:

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
That's awesome! :thumb:

Kauer's got a bright future ahead of 'em.

How'd it play and sound, good sir? :hmm:

I didn't get time to plug it in.... there were small children in the store at the time.. and cranking a Satelite amp into tear your face off mode is the only way to play a p-90 equipped guitar..

However....Greg says it sounds awesome.. so thats good enough for me.... for now!!

However, the action and neck carve felt pretty good just picking around on the couch!! (the "schmoo-ish" body shape also tends to lend itself well to "couch potato guitarists" who like to pick and watch the history channel... unlike a V LOL!!!!)

It was also my first glimpse of the Sperzel Sound-loc tuners... I likey the design.. just wish they had a finer tuning ratio (i didnt tune the gutiar... i just read the specs as being 12:1) however.. i will definately be looking into those for my own guitars in need of less mass on the headstock.

VastHorizon

Reaction score
Yep, they are very cool. Here's me with the man himself holding my own Formica JR: :D

279694_225021937532594_112433198791469_726938_5242707_o.jpg

EnjoGuitar

Reaction score
Oh, I see. Well way to be courteous and not blow some kid's face off. I'm sure they do sound and play awesome.

I'm ashamed to say I've never played anything with P-90's... Gotta hide now so River doesn't kill me. :run:

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
I'm ashamed to say I've never played anything with P-90's... Gotta hide now so River doesn't kill me. :run:

well.. they are kinda like crack........

I used to HATE 'em... back when i thoght EMG's were the be all end all of pickups.. to much noise..

Then.. I discovered ISP Decimators and Overdrive pedals! OH... and the VOLUME and TONE controls on my GUITAR.. LOL!!!!

EnjoGuitar

Reaction score
well.. they are kinda like crack........

I used to HATE 'em... back when i thoght EMG's were the be all end all of pickups.. to much noise..

Then.. I discovered ISP Decimators and Overdrive pedals! OH... and the VOLUME and TONE controls on my GUITAR.. LOL!!!!
My big thing is response. If I get a lot of response from a pickup or a guitar I go crazy over it. I've never been a fan of EMGs. I don't like how they sound.

I'm sure I'd absolutely love P-90s though.

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I went down to BCR today to do some business with the Sensei.. drop of the H.E.L. V for Greg and Ryan to check out, see some old friends and generally be a nuisance...

and whilst yapping over my hatred of nuclear power plants.. I eyeballed some formica over Gregs Shoulder..

YEP.. It was a Kauer!!

A Daylighter Jr. with the Formica top!!

Didn't know he had got one in!!

Thing makes me want to go on down to the Burger Stand in my 32 rat rod with the raccoon tail on the antenna and hang out with Skeeter and Bowser!!

NEAT-O!

2011-07-26152916-1.jpg

And a tin of Peach Pomade!

very cool

sonar1

Reaction score
...I've never played anything with P-90's...

Telecaster on steroids: fatter midrange whallop.

Unless on an archtop: then it's Charlie Christian wood-y-ness, but bluesy like T-Bone Walker.

I had a P-90 Reverend.

The scale length makes a difference.

Love my LP Special w P-90's. Loved my '54 ES-175 with a P-90.

Fender scale length w P-90's: not so much. But some guys it works well for. Sorry, I have no YouTubes to show for that combination.

YMMV

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
Telecaster on steroids: fatter midrange whallop.

Unless on an archtop: then it's Charlie Christian wood-y-ness, but bluesy like T-Bone Walker.

I had a P-90 Reverend.

The scale length makes a difference.

Love my LP Special w P-90's. Loved my '54 ES-175 with a P-90.

Fender scale length w P-90's: not so much. But some guys it works well for. Sorry, I have no YouTubes to show for that combination.

YMMV

Rodger that...... i think 24 3/4 is the best for a p-90.. even PRS 25" doesn;t jive... I also prefer them in thinner bodied guitars like SG's and Jr's.. not so much in a LP

sonar1

Reaction score
Rodger that...... i think 24 3/4 is the best for a p-90.. even PRS 25" doesn;t jive... I also prefer them in thinner bodied guitars like SG's and Jr's.. not so much in a LP

Agreed.

I demo'd one of the Studio '50's they had recently and almost pulled the trigger on a sunburst one. There was one in white that was REALLY resonant, but somehow that put me off a little.

At the other end of the spectrum a friend had an old LP Pro with P-90's that I just didn't think sounded all that great.

I came away with a 2010 LP Special earlier this year that was/is "Just right!"
-Goldilocks:)

Latest Threads