Went mountain biking, fell off of the mountain

Lungo

Reaction score
Much better story than my last bike crash. My wife and I have fat tire bikes so I got in the habit of ignoring most small obstacles. So, as I was crossing the middle lane of a road in downtown Oregon City to pull into a brew pub I failed to see the bright yellow tall lane divider strip. Got dumped over the handlebars on my back, right in the middle of the road, and provided entertainment for a couple dozen beer drinkers that were sitting outside. Landing hard on the pavement was not pleasant but nothing a few beers didn't fix.

Crash Site.JPG

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Glad you seem to be okay other than the scrapes and bruises.

I finally had to sell my mountain bike a few years ago. Two times over the bars and then a back flip which crushed my right elbow and I decided to hang it up. My 59 year old body just doesn't heal well...

I did buy a really cool beach cruiser that I ride regularly...up and down the beach of course! Sand is soft...

It's an Electra Rat Fink...

electra-rat-fink-3i.jpg

efstop

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had two mountain bikes but never went off road. I gave away a 2009 GT 18 speed because I was tired of carrying a 35 lb bike to the second floor. My 1988 GT Karakorum weighs about 26 lbs, but it's a single speed now. Ditched the gears, derailleurs and the brakes/shifters combo grips, too.

I haven't ridden a bike in 5 1/2 years. I also have an '09 GT GuTterBall (that's how they spell it) based on the GT GTB track bike and a former 10 speed '74 Favorit now a fixed gear, as is the '09 GT.

I ought to sell the three of them.

MSB

Reaction score
Much better story than my last bike crash. My wife and I have fat tire bikes so I got in the habit of ignoring most small obstacles. So, as I was crossing the middle lane of a road in downtown Oregon City to pull into a brew pub I failed to see the bright yellow tall lane divider strip. Got dumped over the handlebars on my back, right in the middle of the road, and provided entertainment for a couple dozen beer drinkers that were sitting outside. Landing hard on the pavement was not pleasant but nothing a few beers didn't fix.

View attachment 401000
I got a fat bike almost two years ago and like you said, little stuff doesn't phase them. I'd probably kill myself the first turn with "skinny" tires now. I was out at one of our parks on Sunday and I was going up a gravel section a road bike guy was going down and his eyes looked the size of donuts, I just had to chuckle to myself.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Hitting the trails tomorrow, in a full face helnet. Not a crazy heavy downhill helmet. I'm not going to hit my jaw like that again.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Nice, GREAT ride this morning. I rode through the spot where I crashed last weekend, and I must have been seriously distracted to have been that far off of my normal line. That crash should have never happened.

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Owwweee!

I had some serious wrecks just going down the street...I slammed a driver getting out of his car once....Bent his door....broke the widow....my dad was pissed off... then he mellowed out when the dude tried to say I did it on purpose....that changed the whole game...

but shouldn't you at least look before swinging your door open on a street?

anyway glad your OK

efstop

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Owwweee!

I had some serious wrecks just going down the street...I slammed a driver getting out of his car once....Bent his door....broke the widow....my dad was pissed off... then he mellowed out when the dude tried to say I did it on purpose....that changed the whole game...

but shouldn't you at least look before swinging your door open on a street?

anyway glad your OK
Dooring is a chargeable offence in Ontario for the automobile owner. You can't open a door into traffic. When I was riding downtown on my bike, I would take a chunk out of the lane to stay out of the door zone.

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yea.... im here to tell you that it hurt....

But it was probably in 1970.... no cops involved.... the dumbass drove off after my dad set him straight....lol

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Thankfully, the bike is fine. I'm sore as hell. My wife asked me if I'm ok with being (not badly) injured. I said, hell yes, as long as I get to be outdoors and remain active. Took a tumble in a spot that I've been through a hundred times. I was thinking about the rock climb coming up about a hundred feet ahead of me and hit a root at an odd angle. Front tire grabbed and threw me off the trail to the right, and ended up face first into a log feature. Hit my face and jaw but my helmet is fine!

Lol, my shoulder HURTS but it's fine...I think...I hope...

every once in awhile , Nature has to remind you who's Boss . I'm not one for tattoos myself __ but scars are so much more fun . hope you feel better soon . healing takes time now that you're older

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I can't even count the hours I've spent watching GMBN videos. Love those guys and grrrls.