Well, I'm Back At It

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The pandemic, work, and other life events resulted in my spending FAR less time building amps than I had intended. I have built and sold a few, but I really put the brakes on fairly hard.

I just completed the woodwork on five Tweed 12 cabinets, and have 7 chassis in various states of completion. I'm now putting the tweed on the cabs and will then finish them with shellac and lacquer. There is still quite a bit of time required to finish the five amps as many steps still remain. But it feels great to be back building!!!

Serious thunderstorms (severe wind, hair, tornados; the weather people are trying to scare the crap out of us) are headed our way so I move a couple cabs indoors to keep me busy.

DSC01718.JPG

DSC01719.JPG

DSC01720.JPG

DSC01721.JPG

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Your tweed coverings are so nice, but whenever I see your carpentry I'm shocked at the beautiful dovetails that get covered up!

:applause::applause:

Glad to see you building again.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Your tweed coverings are so nice, but whenever I see your carpentry I'm shocked at the beautiful dovetails that get covered up!

:applause::applause:

Glad to see you building again.

Thank you, Splatt. The woodworking part is fun, the tweed a bit more intense, and the shellac/lacquer is tedious.

I love the look of the dovetails. They make me smile.

25 pieces of wood go into each cabinet. There's a total of 71 parts/pieces required for each cabinet (not including the amp and speaker). There's a lot more to, as you well know.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
We can tell that you love what you're doing. Happy (I am) that you decided to fire it up and get the urge to build once more. I'm not alone when saying: Welc9me Back!!

Classicplayer

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We can tell that you love what you're doing. Happy (I am) that you decided to fire it up and get the urge to build once more. I'm not alone when saying: Welc9me Back!!

Classicplayer

It's a lot of fun building amp, but building many amps is work! Now that I'm partially retired, I hope to start ramping things up.

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don, as you well know, I absolutely LOVE my Tweed 12. In some ways, it makes me happy to know that 5 more of them are trying to enter the world. And in some ways, I'd have preferred to retain some of that "Limited Edition" mojo ?

but ultimately, Soul Tramp having more product out there is good for everyone !

Anyone on the fence is welcome to PM me for deets. I give good reviews.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Don, as you well know, I absolutely LOVE my Tweed 12. In some ways, it makes me happy to know that 5 more of them are trying to enter the world. And in some ways, I'd have preferred to retain some of that "Limited Edition" mojo ?

but ultimately, Soul Tramp having more product out there is good for everyone !

Anyone on the fence is welcome to PM me for deets. I give good reviews.

Thank you, Bill. While my day job is rewarding in it's own right, working wood, metal, and fabric feels like sorcery. I love it!

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Good to see you building again. Don’t let the severe winds and hair get you!

Latest Threads