Well hell...Fizzy Laney (amp help)

your idol

Reaction score
Welp of course right when you put something up for sale it craps the bed. I mean craps the bed may be a bit dramatic but I certainly cant move it like this! What do I have here? A nuked tube?

Laney AOR ProTube Lead 100

sputtery and fuzzy, not bad when the second gain stage isnt engaged. Single notes and hard struck chords though really bring out the sizzle. Its just running through my UA OX box. As you can hear theres ambient sound projecting.

anyone know whats going on here? Ive had amzingly effortless tube amp ownership so ive never actually had to deal with something like this.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Things to check:
  • Be sure Volume, MV, any FX connections are set properly
  • Guitar & cable
  • Input Jack
  • Speaker Jack
  • Speaker cable
  • Speaker cabinet
  • Tubes

your idol

Reaction score
Things to check:
  • Guitar & cable
  • Input Jack
  • Speaker Jack
  • Speaker cable
  • Speaker cabinet
  • Tubes
Guitar is good, jack is good
So Im running the head directly to a UA OX Amptop Box. No cab needed. Running MV at 70%ish, gain channel engaged. Changed out the speaker cable and it seems like that may have been the bad link. Wonder how much hell that put on my amp. Its time for a checkup anyway but you probably saved me from burning it out

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Guitar is good, jack is good
So Im running the head directly to a UA OX Amptop Box. No cab needed. Running MV at 70%ish, gain channel engaged. Changed out the speaker cable and it seems like that may have been the bad link. Wonder how much hell that put on my amp. Its time for a checkup anyway but you probably saved me from burning it out
Pre amp tube?

your idol

Reaction score
Pre amp tube?
Im thinking so. Not that i got it to stop losing its mind theres still a faint rattling filament sound whenI play. Ive suspected this was due for a retube anyway. The gain section is extra dark and muddy no matter how eq it out. Im thinking new tubes and a health check are in order regardless especially if im going to be pushing it harder through the OX. Time for a doctors visit now that im out of the emergency phase

your idol

Reaction score
Things to check:
  • Guitar & cable
  • Input Jack
  • Speaker Jack
  • Speaker cable
  • Speaker cabinet
  • Tubes
Oh yeah the most important part. Thank you

Latest Threads