Well crap, I accidentally bought a Tokai

Family Man

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm my suspicion of it being a mid-90s Korean?

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like it once had a 3 screw truss cover.
Chinese perhaps...tough to see the back headstock but yeah

Family Man

Reaction score
I considered Chinese as well, but don't all those have the point in the middle of the open book headstock? This guitar definitely didn't come stock with a 2 screw TRC, but I think the early Korean Love Rocks had the traditional open book headstock with a 3 screw TRC. No serials on the early ones either, and the back of this headstock is blank.

In addition to the aftermarket TRC, this guitar has a JB and Jazz in it, as well as 50s wiring (so the seller says) and an ABR bridge.

reborn old

Reaction score
Chinese models have a serial number on the back of the headstock,
while Korean models generally will not have serial #'s unless they are fakes.

Known exeptions to the above are unauthorized Korean made guitars destined for Canada with serial #'s printed clear cello tape and
2000-2001 limited edition models.
Headstock numbers on these LTD editions are in fact model #'s, not serial #'s

Family Man

Reaction score
Thanks, folks. It actually just arrived at my house and I can't wait to go give it a play. The rosewood looks pretty pale, but hopefully it'll darken up with some oil treatment.

J-Dizzle

Reaction score
I considered Chinese as well, but don't all those have the point in the middle of the open book headstock? This guitar definitely didn't come stock with a 2 screw TRC, but I think the early Korean Love Rocks had the traditional open book headstock with a 3 screw TRC. No serials on the early ones either, and the back of this headstock is blank.
The Chinese built Tokais come with a traditional open book headstock as well. It depends on where the guitar was intended to be sold. Guitars to be sold in the UK & Europe will have the dimple headstock but guitars built for Asia will have the open book.

This guitar looks Korean, IMO.

Family Man

Reaction score
IMG_1549.JPG
IMG_1552.JPG
Whatever this thing is, it has "it"!

I don't usually care for flame tops or pale rosewood, but this thing just has it going on. It's got just enough natural wear to have some mojo to it and it sounds fantastic. Great contrast (a little darker) to my 335 and strat.

NJDevil

Reaction score
I wonder if you take the pickups out (neck pup) if it will reveal what model. My Tokai LS-135 has the model written on the wood in the cavity where the neck pup is.

Nice acquisition....congrats!

Family Man

Reaction score
Thought I should give an update on this guitar. Nearly a month in and I'm loving it. I run 10s on all other electrics, but I may keep 9s on this one. It still sounds huge and the bends are effortless. What a great guitar.

I've got a buddy who is a huge Les Paul guy and now I have him looking into one of these for himself. Any time he is around, he picks up the guitar and threatens to take it with him. It really is special.

truckermde

Reaction score
With pickguard or without???
Bonus dog pic.
I'm a "with" pickguard guy, but I'll go with "either or" on this one, because it has a lovely top with a great teardrop.

Congrats :cheers2:

Isaac Ord

Reaction score

All tokai guitars have the gibson headstock, in Australia there's so many of these tokai guitars and they're great, unlike the US retailers stock em, the Japanese Tokai guitars are Gibson Custom Shop quality

Family Man

Reaction score
I've decided I'm going to stick with the pickguard. It's just too classic to not have on there. I've really bonded with this LP like no other LP I've played before.