Weird things we love about Les Pauls

Bro KV

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotta go with the body thickness. Got my first Les Paul recently as I played Jacksons and ESPs before now. I did have a signature Black/Grey Camo Willie Adler but was disappointed it wasn’t full thickness, shame ESP!

sparky2

Reaction score
When I was in a garage band in the mid-1970's, I had exactly one guitar;
An Epiphone acoustic.

I was pretty poor, and I had to borrow an electric when we finally performed live, after months of practicing in Danny's garage. That guitar was a Framus, a sort of Strat-shaped thing.

When I saved and saved and saved my pennies, I finally bought my first proper electric guitar.
This was in 1977.
A 1971 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe goldtop.
It looked similar to the one that I sawr Jeff Lynne playing on the television, back in his early ELO haydays.

I loved the shape and the heft of it, and the rock guitar otherworldliness of it.

I have loved Les Pauls ever since.
And I have owned MANY since those days.

And later sold them all, mainly due to that 'heft'.
(The weight.)

My latest, and probably last two are quite lightweight.
I love them.

:)

goldtop.jpg

tzd

Reaction score
I love how the neck has a ~4 degree angle where it joins to the body, so the body actually kind of wraps around your hips, getting out of the way, when you play it.

Non-rabbit

Reaction score
I love the fretboard binding and how it comes up over the frets a little. That's what a fret nib is right? I never heard that word before coming to this forum but I really like how it looks.

E.T.

Reaction score
The whole design I find aesthetically very pleasing. They look to me like they actually evolved from older instruments rather than being cobbled together. I have no idea what you're all talking about with the smell though- maybe I'm just used to it after 20 years.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
The whole design I find aesthetically very pleasing. They look to me like they actually evolved from older instruments rather than being cobbled together. I have no idea what you're all talking about with the smell though- maybe I'm just used to it after 20 years.
There's a very sweet smell that comes on new Gibsons.. It's a VERY attractive odor.

ARandall

Reaction score
I did have a signature Black/Grey Camo Willie Adler but was disappointed it wasn’t full thickness, shame ESP!
Thats their desired selling point....that it nowhere near as thick so you get the better upper fret access

gball

Reaction score
Can I tell you guys something?

......I kinda like clownburst.
Me too!

The finish they are using on the new Deluxe is called 70s Cherry Sunburst. It's a bit more abrupt in the transition but not quite full-on clownburst. I wish they had gone full clown.

integra evan

Reaction score
I love how the neck has a ~4 degree angle where it joins to the body, so the body actually kind of wraps around your hips, getting out of the way, when you play it.
Same here. I like the neck angle of Gibsons.

Socrates

Reaction score
Weird as it sounds...I love the weight...they just feel like real, substantial guitars...not sure I'd ever want a 6lb guitar lol

gball

Reaction score
Weird as it sounds...I love the weight...they just feel like real, substantial guitars...not sure I'd ever want a 6lb guitar lol
Same here. I've been playing Les Pauls for over 40 years and one of the attractive things has always been the weight and how they hang on a strap. I like SG's but they are too light and dainty feeling for me.

Banastre

Reaction score
Yeah I totally agree with some of you. I pop open the case and she's beautiful of course, but the first thing that I notice as I take it out is the weight. It's like "oh, okay. This is a Les Paul". And yeah I also love that little swing around your hip from that neck angle. Works well sitting down too, IMHO.

Latest Threads