Weird Stock Wiring

slabendadas

Reaction score
So... I'm new to electronics and guitar work
But when opening my Epi I was surprised to see the way the caps were soldered in...
As you can see they wired the caps on the tone pots from lug 2 to the casing of the pots. Why?
Shouldn't the cap be soldered to the 3rd lug on the volume pots (for stock modern wiring), instead of the back of the pot casing?

Attachments

• 1409709013826.jpg
    1409709013826.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 92

LowThudd

Reaction score
Effectively the same. You can always change it, but, effectively the same.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I just made some harnesses like that, that design work good and very clean. Yes it is a modern sound wiring.

Shortscale

Reaction score
I bought a used Gibson Angus SG and it has the same wiring as the OP except has the little disc cap and Gibson branded pots. And the soldering job is terrible.

slabendadas

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys.
So everything in the stock wiring looks good?
I ordered some new pickups to put in and if there is anything wrong with the wiring I'd like to know so I can fix it all in one go.

PunkKitty

Reaction score
That just looks like stock Asian wiring. Nothing special. But it generally works okay. I'd rebuild that harness with CTS pots and decent .022 caps.

ARandall

Reaction score
Nothing wrong per se, but certainly things can be improved with a new wiring harness. By improve, I mean adding clarity. So many of the import guitars have the cheapest parts that can possibly be made.

Zenzeypher

Reaction score
Those are alpha pots. They're fine. Only effect you'll see by upgrading is a better taper. Leave it be.. new pots and caps wont change how it sounds.

slabendadas

Reaction score
Those are alpha pots they're fine. Only effect you'll see by upgrading is a better taper. Leave it be.. new pots and caps wont change how it sounds.

Thanks. I figured the pots were good because they're alphas I was more wondering about the caps. Thanks for the help everyone I'll start a thread in the epi section with some before/after sound clips of the guitar when I'm done.
I went with a fat pat for the bridge and a mean 90 for the neck. Let's see how it goes! :dude:

Latest Threads