Weird SG build

ejendres

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has wanted a guitar that looks like a brick wall for years. Honestly I wasn't a huge fan of the concept originally but I really like how it came together.

Started with some sycamore I had laying around.

Rough cut and flattened

Front milled

Back milled

Everything drilled and ready

I sent the rough milled body over to my buddy since he wanted to do the finish himself. He painted by hand with some acrylic paints.

Tried out my first scarf joint for this build

20 minutes later, we're sanded nice and flat.

Drill bits make decent alignment pins :lol:

All clamped up and drying

Thickness cut the headstock

Used the off cut to make the heal thick enough :lol:

neck shaft is ready for a fretboard :love:

Made the fretboard from Bocote. Miniblocks with a custom 12th fret inlay. All filled with epoxy.

Veneer glued on and frets installed

Neck was hand carved and feels excellent. Soft v at the nut transitioning to a D around the 12th.

Neck set and trimmed

I started the satin nitro clear this weekend. Can't wait til its cured.

Surprise figure on the back of the headstock.

Adinol

Reaction score
Nice work. I also like your headstock. My mind would probably need a little time to process the fact that an SG has a headstock like that, but that's just because we are conditioned to seeing a Gibson headstock on an SG.

I want to ask you. What kind of razor files are those that I see in your photo?

ejendres

Reaction score
Nice work. I also like your headstock. My mind would probably need a little time to process the fact that an SG has a headstock like that, but that's just because we are conditioned to seeing a Gibson headstock on an SG.

I want to ask you. What kind of razor files are those that I see in your photo?
Thanks! I think the headstock actually fits the SG pretty nicely.

Are you talking about my Microplane rasp?

Adinol

Reaction score
Oh, by all means, the headstock looks great on the SG. I was just saying that our minds are conditioned to expect a Gibson headstock. At least for me.

I do like your headstock and I also like that it is not symmetrical, which complements the asymmetry of the SG body.

The rasp I was asking about is the other one, which is more rounded. I can't seem to find it on that Microplane site.

ejendres

Reaction score
Oh, by all means, the headstock looks great on the SG. I was just saying that our minds are conditioned to expect a Gibson headstock. At least for me.

I do like your headstock and I also like that it is not symmetrical, which complements the asymmetry of the SG body.

The rasp I was asking about is the other one, which is more rounded. I can't seem to find it on that Microplane site.
That's strange, I bought it as a set from Microplane. I have a flat, round and triangle insert.

ejendres

Reaction score
Yes this is weird, but nicely done by the two of you
Thanks! It's really growing on me as get closer to finished.

Unusual....not weird.

The guitar might need counselling after that
Yeah unusual is a better word, we don't want to give the SG a complex. I mean its getting minibuckers for heavens sake, its life will be hard enough LOL

ARandall

Reaction score
I have to say I like the concept, even if a brick wall is a little cheesy.
Its like you're trying to get the guitar to become invisible whilst hanging on the wall.

Latest Threads