Weird reaction on fretboard after using masking tape

SoManyGuitars

Reaction score
Naptha and/or oil...
How many times can the OP be told the answer to his question, but yet he argues the very advice he came here seeking...

Can’t wait to see his/her next post.

amgomez

Reaction score
Just clean it with naphtha. Oil it with fretboard oil, or boiled linseed oil. I work at an instrument factory. It’s okay. Don’t over oil it, it’ll make the frets shift if they’re not glued in. Also, I used to own a 2011 aged cherry Gibson SG Standard limited with a baked maple fretboard. Used to happened to me as well, when I re leveled my frets and when I changed my corian nut to a TUSQ nut. All woods absorb oil.. all woods are porous. I wouldn’t recommend oiling blonde maple, because it will change its color.

RufusTelestrat

Reaction score
So lets recap.

OP comes in and asks a forum on the internets for advice. Said forum provides helpful responses and advice with over 12000 years collective experience.
Said advice is questioned and no indication of actually trying said advice, and multiple misleading answers are received about cause of said problem.

My advice. Take up trombone. Use blue painters tape it has a different formula to the adhesive and god gave you 2 eyes, read what we say before replying blindly.

Otherwise Oil the board.

thomasdgolden

Reaction score
hi there!

So the guitar is a second hand Les Paul Studio 2011 with a baked maple fingerboard, it is the first time that I am masking the fretboard for fixing a dent. The problem is there are these marks appearing every time after using masking tape (generic stuff, nothing too strong), since it is baked maple I have no idea why and how to treat it, can any of you knowledgeable folks shed some light on this issue?

greetings
s.
Looks like someone tried stain and perhaps your masking tape is too tacky.

Latest Threads