Weird reaction on fretboard after using masking tape

sasquash_

Reaction score
hi there!

So the guitar is a second hand Les Paul Studio 2011 with a baked maple fingerboard, it is the first time that I am masking the fretboard for fixing a dent. The problem is there are these marks appearing every time after using masking tape (generic stuff, nothing too strong), since it is baked maple I have no idea why and how to treat it, can any of you knowledgeable folks shed some light on this issue?

greetings
s.

Attachments

Roxy13

Reaction score
Can you oil the baked maple? I've had marks left on a fb from tape after a fret level and after I then oiled the board they were gone.

sasquash_

Reaction score
As far as I know, you can only condition baked maple with soap or you don't even need to do anything to it, since it is already "sealed" wood, that's why I was wondering what this actually is.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
It doesn't seem like a good idea to use naphtha, would have an abrasive effect I guess..
Incorrect. Naphtha will clean off the tape adhesive residue without damaging the finish as long as you don’t use an abrasive cloth.

Also FYI you cant “condition” wood with soap. That would be a bad idea for sure. A little mineral oil wiped on sparingly - if the discoloration is in the wood and not a tape residue on top to be wiped off with naptha - won’t hurt you just don’t want to go overboard.

The pictures are a little shocking you know, it almost looks like the tape peeled off a layer of fretboard stain lol, but I expect it is just residue to be wiped from the surface. Most likely what it is.

FWIW from now on you likely want to use blue or green painter tape instead, it has less likelihood of leaving obnoxious residue or damaging finishes. Not the green frog tape, just plain painter tape. If you have to use this cheap masking tape again then put the strips on your pants first; jeans preferable, then pull off to cut out some of the stickyness. You’ll get less leftover residue also.

Last edited:

sasquash_

Reaction score
There is no residue, it looks as if the tape removed the finish from the fretboard, this was plain painter tape, very gentle stuff.

pshupe

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How long was it on? Was it left in the sun? Looks almost like the opposite of oxidation. It sure looks strange. Generally any kind of painters tape works quite well on any wood surface. I use it a lot. I have had problems getting it off it I leave it too long and sometimes a bit of residue but easily cleaned with Naptha. Naptha is a great cleaner. No worries about it affecting any surface. Just no smoking around it. ;-)

Cheers Peter.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
There is no residue, it looks as if the tape removed the finish from the fretboard, this was plain painter tape, very gentle stuff.
First you said generic masking tape which isn’t plain painter tape - what color did you use?
Clean it with the naphtha first and then post the after photo. :D

pshupe

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
happens all the time to me when I do fretwork.
The tape can leach out what oil there is in the wood. even gentle tape. Just re-oil it. But I repeat myself.

That must be it. I just started oiling my fret boards. Not sure why I'm only starting now. They look awesome.

Cheers Peter.

sasquash_

Reaction score
Come on people, the tape was only on for around 10 mins. tops. I have never seen anything like that, that's why I wanted to ask for advice. There is no way the tape can have such an effect on the fretboard. It will look OK after oiling probably, but do any of you get the same thing on baked maple fretboards? How is it possible for the tape to cause such a discoloration on the wood?

dmac in SC

Reaction score
As a guy that mostly plays guitars, instead of working on them... I can't even see a finish problem from the pics you posted ..It's a 2011 Studio..People buy these things to be workhorses, not museum pieces...looks great to me :cheers2:

Roxy13

Reaction score
happens all the time to me when I do fretwork.
The tape can leach out what oil there is in the wood. even gentle tape. Just re-oil it. But I repeat myself.
It happens to me too on about half of them. For some reason it's the smaller widths of tape doing it even though the tape is all from the same place. And then I have small stripes all over. But, I always oil the board afterwards and then it's back to normal again.

sasquash_

Reaction score
As a guy that mostly plays guitars, instead of working on them... I can't even see a finish problem from the pics you posted ..It's a 2011 Studio..People buy these things to be workhorses, not museum pieces...looks great to me :cheers2:
Well, I play them also and no luthier, if this finish looks normal to you, I suggest you switch to playing workhorses instead of guitars..

Latest Threads