weird Les Paul Wiring issue

attgas

Reaction score
Hello, world.

I´ve been having a weird issue with my Gibson Les Paul. Seems like the neck pickup is having some kind of capacitance issue, where first you can´t hear shit, and suddenly it explodes into the beautiful sound of a lp. The bridge pickup seems to be OK.

Here are some samples

Neck Pickup

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D2JomlEsDe__7Vuif60fOvxOrJXSFjcS/view?usp=sharing

Bridge Pickup

https://drive.google.com/file/d/199my4WjVm8AGBWvd9TPJbeVg1v3QDcEb/view?usp=sharing

The guitar is stock, no changes have been made at all since I got it.

Things i´ve notice:
  • It seems like it "loads" after first using it (the neck pickup). If I stop using that pickup (or the gutiar) I have to play it real hard for it to start sounding again.
  • The recording was made using a ScarlettSolo and an iPad, but it happens the same on a real amp.
  • The effect seems not affected by the tone knob? happens fully open or fully closed.
  • There´s nothing weird in the wiring, at least not to the naked eye. If i cant fix the issue i might have to desolder some things and try changing pieces.. not really a fan of that idea (I know how to handle it, just wanted to leave it as it is).
Anyhow, thanks for any tips or any ideas on what might be causing the issue.

DarrellV

Crazy American......
Premium Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a bad pot to me in your sound clip.

Are the pins on your pickup plugs the same?

Could you switch the 2 pickups on the circuit board and see if the neck pickup works (with bridge controls) and the bridge pickup becomes scratchy (through neck controls)?

That would tell you...

none2low

Reaction score
Could you switch the 2 pickups on the circuit board and see if the neck pickup works (with bridge controls) and the bridge pickup becomes scratchy (through neck controls)?
This is the first thing I'd try. Should be a quick 5 second swap to change the quick connects around.

If the problem follows the pickup swap I would look at the switch next. Give it a few wiggles back and forth and see if that clears things up. If it does, it's dirty contacts in your switch and just needs cleaning.

On the other hand, if it's not the switch and you're still having the same issue regardless of which pickup is hooked to the neck controls, then it's more than likely a pot issue. Which you might be able to clear it up with a good cleaning.

Try those things first and report back. :fingersx:

Roxy13

Reaction score
Do all of the above and also check the solder connections on the switch while you are at it.

attgas

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Did the pickup swap and,.. the issue was gone? probably was a bad connection from the start. Still cleaned the pots just in case.

I feel dumb now, but I´ve had pots going bad before, and i´ve never saw (or heard) that "loading up" effect. Just the scratchy sound when you turn them or touch them.

Anyhow, will report if the issue comes back!

Thanks!

DarrellV

Crazy American......
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Did the pickup swap and,.. the issue was gone? probably was a bad connection from the start. Still cleaned the pots just in case.

I feel dumb now, but I´ve had pots going bad before, and i´ve never saw (or heard) that "loading up" effect. Just the scratchy sound when you turn them or touch them.

Anyhow, will report if the issue comes back!

Thanks!
No need to feel dumb about it. You had sound clips of it. It was legit.

Heck, that's more than we usually get to work with.

We're all glad to hear that you got it sorted out and can get on with enjoying it!

Latest Threads