Weird Guitars

cynic79

Reaction score
As much as I enjoy my Gibsons and Fenders, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the more perverse side of guitar-dom. I think it started with my first guitar (Letter B on the right):

The adprint notwithstanding, I refuse to believe that this guitar was made from anything even approaching "ash."

Perhaps due to the trauma induced by playing such a monstrosity for several years, I have always found myself drawn to guitars that sit far outside the mainstream of luthiery. Sparkle finishes, bizarre shapes, non-standard body materials, I love them all. I invite those of you with a more exotic taste in music to share such instruments here.

I'll start.

I always did like the Tueffel design:

In fact, the Reverend Billy F. Gibbons himself has been seen with one of Tueffel's designs from time to time:

For all its detractors, I always liked the shape of the Parker Fly, and I applaud their use of non-standard materials in the building of their instruments:

Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to own any of these guitars. The closest I've come is my beloved Danelectro U3:

Gotta love the sparkle finish!

Please share any "weird" guitars that you may own, or any that you just find to be particularly interesting.

River

Reaction score
I like weird guitars too. Don't presently own any, though. I'd take one of these in a heartbeat:

Or these:

cynic79

Reaction score
I love those Bo Diddley guitars! Daisy Rock makes some great designs, and I would probably own one if it wasn't for the fact that I do not like the necks (which are, of course, designed for smaller hands).

River

Reaction score
I don't see a nut measurement for that Daisy. Do you know if the neck/nut is narrow, as well as the neck being thin?

Funny how things work - when I had a '60s Melody Maker in the '80s, IT was considered weird...

cynic79

Reaction score
I don't see a nut measurement for that Daisy. Do you know if the neck/nut is narrow, as well as the neck being thin?

Funny how things work - when I had a '60s Melody Maker in the '80s, IT was considered weird...
I don't recall it being narrower, but it has been a while since I played one.

kspeed

Reaction score
I really dig that Parkly Fly and especially that Danelectro, cynic!

Me, I've wanted an Ibanez Talman TC-630IV since I was a kid. The lipstick pickups are an Asian made Kent Armstrong design and sound lovely and the neck's more of a thin Fender style C shape than the typical Wizard/Wizard II.

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
I like weird guitars too. Don't presently own any, though. I'd take one of these in a heartbeat:

I used to have the non-Bigsby version of that, the Retro-H. I currently own the 12-string version of the Retro-H:

I have lots of non-traditional guitars.

The OP's Dano is more traditional than my Hodad:

My three weirdest:

Ovation Breadwinner:

DeArmond Jet Star:

Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe:

Will post more later.

GrinningElk

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
How about the Kramer Triax? Less than 10 ever made....

cynic79

Reaction score
That Kramer looks like some sort of fish.

Re: Talman, the guitarist in my old band had one of those with humbuckers. I always liked the Bigsby equipped ones with the sparkle finishes.

I believe the Talmans originally had some sort of composite material body as well.

As for the Hodad, I raise you my Longhorn bass!

GrinningElk

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Good call, Brian. The sister guitar to this one is named the "Enterprise"- no kidding!

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
As for the Hodad, I raise you my Longhorn bass!
Well, I'm all out of Dano ammo, but I'll see your Longhorn and raise you a Peavey USA Fury I

and an Epi T-bird!

I bought both these basses this year, both on a whim because they were at ludicrous prices too good to pass up. The Fury was $125 (pawn) and the Thunderbird was $100 (craigslist).

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
Yep I could play a girls guitar without feeling bad. Maybe a little... different but I could deal.
Haha, well, if you buy one and you're not a girl, it ain't a girl's guitar, now is it?

Hell, I rocked a dang PINK one that had a "girl power" inlay at the 12th fret!

After I bought the white 12-string version, I went ahead and sold it, as I had bought some more basses, was running out of room, and was fairly skint, as the Limeys say. But that was a very cool cheapie. Played fine, sounded GREAT.

And, it went to a 12-year-old girl as a birthday present from her folks. Her eyes were big as saucers when they came and picked it up. That's not just a sale in my book, that's some good karma.

leftyguitarman

Reaction score
I've always wanted a Teisco, Guyatone, Coral, pretty much any of those weird Japanese made guitars from the 60's or 70's. I love the way they look.

This guitar is pretty weird.

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
GASing for this beauty:
and be careful not to break the "HEAD"stock:laugh2:
then again...my other band members sometimes say I ********** all over the fretboard sometimes while soloing.Perfect instrument for playing 'cock-rock'

Latest Threads