Weight relief poll

Lhdr

Reaction score
This is for those who own BOTH a weight relief and non weight relief, which one do you find yourself picking up more? This would be around the house, not gigging.

I’m getting close to buying my first (and last) LP and thought I would ask this question. No need to start a debate on tone, just wondering if you pick up one before another because it’s lighter and easier.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've owned weight relieved guitars that weighed more than non-weight relieved. Also owned 10 pound guitars that sounded way better than 8 pound guitars. If you're not gigging, weight shouldn't be much of a factor. Truth is, Gibson weight relief isn't as effective for relieving weight as one would be led to believe. Personally, I'd shoot for a guitar in the low 9 pound range. Those, in my experience, seem to consistently be a good target.

Raidersfan

Reaction score
I like the weight relief, but sometimes that weight relief isn’t that obvious. It might be psychological, but I prefer weight relief if I can get it, and over the years have traded in 2 Les Pauls that were extremely heavy, Nothing beats as ES Les Paul for weight relief though. I’ve got an Epiphone ES LP....damn, so light, and it sounds great too. Honestly, having the heavier LP strapped to my shoulder isn’t a big deal....picking it up and putting it away is when I notice the weight the most,

Gridlock

Reaction score
My weight relieved 2008 Traditional weighed 10 lbs and my non-weight relieved 1999 R7 weighs less.

I would prefer to own a non-weight relieved guitar but I doubt that I could really tell the difference sound-wise or weight-wise without knowing the specifics of each guitar.

Last edited:

Sinster

Reaction score
I own non weight relief, chambered, modern, classic, and standard. I don't find myself grabbing one over the other.
The only thing I do say is man this is either heavier or lighter than the one I just played early.

integra evan

Reaction score
For me, its whatever I'm in the mood to play. I dont choose one over the other simply because of weight relief. A good guitar is a good guitar.

BKS

Reaction score
Of my les pauls I play my Gibson '91 studio most often plus my Camel. The Gibson should be swiss cheesed but still is pretty heavy, the camel is a lot lighter.
I don't prefer these for weight or whatever but these are at grabbing distance. They are not my best sounding les pauls... In bad need of New pups....

ARandall

Reaction score
I've built both fully solid guitars and ones that are like smaller archtops......and everything in between (one hardtail strat is about 6lbs all up)
I pick them up equally.

You start to get small tonal shifts in a Les Paul when you get to chambered......but blind tests have equally spread the response to which has better tone.

mdubya

Reaction score
I am the oddball in the LP bunch (imagine that! o_O ).

I have an ES Les Paul (humbuckers) and a new LP Special with P-90's. Many could argue the ES is not a real Les Paul, but I love it. It is 6.2 lbs. For me, it not only does the Les Paul thing for real, but it also covers a lot of other territory; ES 335 and ES 330 particularly.

The LP Special does classic slab mahogany P-90 tones. It weighs a bit more than 8 lbs. so it really isn't that heavy LP wise.

The lightweight of each guitar is a bonus for me. The ES LP is a great "at home" guitar. It not only is super comfortable because of the weight, but it allows some real tone exploration. And it pays off.

The Special is great, too. It has classic LP tones. Each pickup has that great, deep, LP tone. And the middle position is great.

anorton

Reaction score
My 9 hole weight relieved Classic Custom weighs 10 lbs. and my non weight relieved Traditional weighs in at just under 9 lbs. The Traditional is getting most of the love these days, but that has nothing to do with weight.

Becker34

Reaction score
I have an '80 Standard that's solid and an '85 LPC with Swiss Cheese weight relief. The Standard is lighter. I play the Standard more because I like the way it plays better. For that reason it's also my main stage guitar.

Try before you buy if possible.

grumphh

Reaction score
I own two Norlin LP's - one is fairly heavy and the other is a '79 Custom. *

I have owned those for decades.

I have also owned a chambered (not weight relieved) '08 LPStudio.
It was a beautiful white/ebony/gold hardware guitar - but it was neck heavy.
One thing i can say for certain is that a Les Paul which is neck heavy is just not a Les Paul any more - no matter what sticker Gibson decides to slap on the headstock.

I owned it for appr. one week.

(...i didn't like the tone either, but cannot say that the weight had anyrhing to do with that...)

* For those who do not know it, '79 LP's are amongst the heaviest objects in the known universe. How Gibson got access to a neutron star in order to procure the material for these guitars is still a mystery that baffles physicists all over the world to this day...

BKS

Reaction score
[QUOTE="grumphh, post: 9409576, member: 103746" ]

* For those who do not know it, '79 LP's are amongst the heaviest objects in the known universe. How Gibson got access to a neutron star in order to procure the material for these guitars is still a mystery that baffles physicists all over the world to this day...
[/QUOTE]
I always thought they used lead bricks in my burny for weight relief.... Did those japanese know...... Probably used lead as they could not get hold of that star....

grumphh

Reaction score
I always thought they used lead bricks in my burny for weight relief.... Did those japanese know...... Probably used lead as they could not get hold of that star....
Yeah, lead is all those copycats could ever think of - nothing like the true mojo in those real US-made 70's LP's...

• Haha
Reactions: BKS

musicmaniac

Reaction score
The guitar I choose to play doesn't have to do with it's weight. As other's have said I've got solid LP's that are lighter than weight relieved ones. I don't consider that factor in my choice.

Renegade

Reaction score
I am at home player as well and weight relief for me at least, didn't even factor into the equation when I purchased my LP's, I bought them because I liked and wanted that particular guitar. I have them with P-90's, Mini's and full sized Humbuckers, which one I play is more about pickup choice than anything else.

rogue3

Reaction score
I have both.I am gravitating more to my weight relieved (9 hole) Lesters(C.A. Hog), but not because of the weight, because of the tone. They are heavier than my non-weight relieved R8(Fiji hog).

I believe i prefer a denser,heavier mahogany in a Les Paul,for the tone it gives, in my examples,though it is splitting hairs.
Low to mid 9lb'ers are ideal to these ears.Denser Central/South American Honduran,is the way i perceive it.

I picked up a chambered Les Paul once and played it a little.it felt and sounded like a cereal box.Can you say ahhh?

Last edited:

emerald81

Reaction score
I own both, chambered its nice and acoustically loud. Weight relieved its more compresed sound, more punch. Both are nice, and chambered plus lighter. Maybe try in between with modern relief, the sweet spot?

Stay out from heavier pauls, from a point of functionality and comfort... does not make sense.

Last edited: