Wearing Your Own Band's T-Shirt

Where/When is it ok to wear your own band’s t-shirt?

• Never, nowhere, no how… it’s tacky.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • Around friends or family, but never in public.

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Anywhere as long as you’re not playing a gig.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • At gigs, always, to promote the band!

Votes: 16 20.8%

• Total voters

truckermde

Reaction score
Maybe it's cheesy for big bands, like major label acts, to go around in their own swag, but for the rest of us, a little shameless self-promotion goes a long way.

Nothin' wrong with promoting your own home-grown act. :thumb:

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
I think during load-in, load out at a gig its actually a really good idea, keeps the bouncers from hassling you so much and it does let the folks that are milling about see the name of the band that's playing. But change that shit before the lights come on on stage. But any crew should always be in a the bands stuff.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
dontbethatguy1.jpg

I had to laugh as I always usually wear the shirt of the band I'm going to see....but all I wear pretty much is rock band tee's.... I'm a walking billboard for classic rock bands. :laugh2:

But I'd never wear my own band's shirt while playing onstage, and probably rarely offstage.

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Perfectly good tee shirt in my immediate proximity is probably going to get worn, yeah. Lacking fame, I'd feel comfortable wearing a shirt with my band's logo on it in public. When strangers start taking pictures of you, not so much.

NEVER at a gig; there, I would likely wear something that doesn't advertise anyone, or something that advertises one of my influences.

Jedadiah

Reaction score
I don't realy like the idea of wearing your own bands T-shirt, unless it is ironic in some way or displays a sentiment that implies you do not take yourself too seriously.

Similarly, I do not wear a T-shirt of the band I'm going to see. If you wear a shirt of a similar band or one of their influences it displays a deeper knowledge rather than looking like your a guy off the street who went to the Merch stall first.........
.....like I give a FF what everyone else thinks! ;)

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
If I ever find myself in a popular band I'll be pushing for band helmets, every man and his dog has a band t shirt but helmet? It's time to stop living in the past and move forward people.:dude::cool:

deMelo

Banned
Reaction score
Once one reaches a certain age (usually late 30s to early 40s, it varies from person to person) one shouldn't wear band t-shirts, period.

Come on, if we were to think like that, so at the age of 30 we'd stop wearing tees, then at 40 no more sneakers, at 50 no more denim jeans, 60 we'd dress like our grandpas...

Should we all begin dressing like this when we're 50 something?

20120705-191333.jpg

:hmm: Well... I think not:

steve-harris.jpg

lemmy%2B2.gif

james_hetfield_metallica_shirt_merch.jpg

jason.jpg

Slash_in_2008.jpg

joey_ramone_ramones_david_gilmour_pink_floyd_wearing_band_shirt.jpg

About tees in general...

tumblr_kw9hhq2JSI1qanqt5o1_500.png

2697.jpg

BACzero

Reaction score
If I ever find myself in a popular band I'll be pushing for band helmets, every man and his dog has a band t shirt but helmet? It's time to stop living in the past and move forward people.:dude::cool:

HAHA! An old German soldier helmet with a spike on the top. Love it! :applause:

mdubya

Reaction score
For an up and coming band trying to make it, their own t-shirts might be all they can afford to wear.

Cover band? Stick to your cargo shorts, hawiian shirts, and sandals. :lol:

slapshot

Reaction score
This is just kind of a social experiment among musicians... I'm curious what other people think. Hopefully it will be fun. :D Don't worry, your vote is private. ;)

well no one else is going to wear your band's shirt

FUS44

Reaction score
What's with you guys?

There's no problem in wearing band tees. WTF I love it and most guys I know do too...

A couple of weeks ago my band played for the first time and I was wearing the most clichée tee ever: the black Ramones logo tee. Just fine.

I went to see Paul McCartney live wearing a Beatles tee, wore a GnR tee at their concert, no problem.

If my band ever gets printed tees, I'll wear them all right.

Well, at least you played a show before you printed T-shirts.

splatter

Reaction score
I remember back in the day seeing DLR wearing a tee shirt with his own picture on it .

74JMP

Reaction score
If I'm a small level band and it's not brand new looking, hey it might be laundry day and thus ok. Better yet trade T-shirts with bands you opened for.

If I'm in a big famous band no! you pay to have a handmade copy and relic'd stones 72 tour T-shirt made .

Cover band: as I still make that same cash I did in 1990 WTF would I waste the money on shirts.

EasyAce

Reaction score
Nobody seemed to mind when the gentleman in the middle wore his band's T-shirts during their reunion concerts a decade ago, almost . . .

Shinichiro%20Yoshino_Cream%206%20May05_07.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

Cream-www.whysoblu.com_1.jpg

1698.jpg

Spot

Reaction score
Our new bass player wore one of our shirts to his first show and the other guitar player’s wife told him “Unless you’re Steve Harris you can’t get away with it.”

chrisuk

Reaction score
Nobody seemed to mind when the gentleman in the middle wore his band's T-shirts during their reunion concerts a decade ago, almost . . .

Shinichiro%20Yoshino_Cream%206%20May05_07.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

Cream-www.whysoblu.com_1.jpg

1698.jpg

Doesn't count - he is a drummer - :hmm: it is probably the only way the stage crew can work out where he is supposed to be.

Less of a t-shirt - more of a set of assembly instructions. :laugh2:

FUS44

Reaction score
I don't care if John Lennon rose from the ashes, brought George with him and played a show. If he did so in a Beatles T-shirt I would still tell him that it sucked.

Reaction score
Once one reaches a certain age (usually late 30s to early 40s, it varies from person to person) one shouldn't wear band t-shirts, period.

Maybe it's cheesy for big bands, like major label acts, to go around in their own swag, but for the rest of us, a little shameless self-promotion goes a long way.

Nothin' wrong with promoting your own home-grown act. :thumb:

- agreed. be proud of what you are doing.

Latest Threads