Wearing Your Own Band's T-Shirt

Where/When is it ok to wear your own band’s t-shirt?

• Never, nowhere, no how… it’s tacky.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • Around friends or family, but never in public.

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Anywhere as long as you’re not playing a gig.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • At gigs, always, to promote the band!

Votes: 16 20.8%

• Total voters

BACzero

Reaction score
This is just kind of a social experiment among musicians... I'm curious what other people think. Hopefully it will be fun. :D Don't worry, your vote is private. ;)

chrisuk

Reaction score
If they only know your band's name 'cause it's written on your t-shirt then it doesn't count! :cool:

James Carney

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Never.
I get really bothered when I see big bands wearing their own t-shirts. Really? REALLY?
How about wearing who you're a fan of... unless you're that much of a narcissist.

FrankieOliver

Reaction score
I don't see any problem with it. It wouldn't bother me. I would check to see if it's been banned first. :laugh2:

Ed B

Reaction score
I won't even wear a concert t of the band I'm going to see. :laugh2:

Reaction score
This brings up a nice story. A few years back, I was getting on a plane that was heading for England (I was heading to Spain) and I saw Duff McKagan (oh, my...bassist from GNR and Velvet Revolver. Yes, I understand I am in a minority of visually recognizing and knowing the names of a musician that is not the lead singer--but, I am writing to a MLP forum, so you are likely likeminded individuals.

I told my friend, who he was and I wanted to say hello and get an autograph. However, he was wearing a Velvet Revolver t-shirt. I thought to myself, that is way too obvious, it couldn't be him--although nobody, including my friend knew who he was even after I mentioned his name. A big-time rockstar wouldn't wear his t-shirt, it would draw too much attention and I thought musicians wouldn't broadcast that they are fans of themselves. Well, when I got back to the dungeon (coach in the way back), we looked up pictures of him to compare the tatoos and we did verify it was him. However, we didn't want to draw attention to him, now that everyone is locked on the same international flight, so we decided to wait till we land to say that we are big fans. However, when first class deboarded, he was long-gone by the time we got off the plane and we missed our opportunity.

With that being said, I see nothing wrong with putting up a flag to broadcast their association. It can not only trick your fans to seconding guessing who you are, but you also get the word out of the band and you can say you are proud of your recent accomplishments.

FUS44

Reaction score
I believe it may have been Rollins who suggested there is a special place in hell for those who wear their own merch. Guess the rules on tats are different.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
dontbethatguy1.jpg

deMelo

Banned
Reaction score
What's with you guys?

There's no problem in wearing band tees. WTF I love it and most guys I know do too...

A couple of weeks ago my band played for the first time and I was wearing the most clichée tee ever: the black Ramones logo tee. Just fine.

I went to see Paul McCartney live wearing a Beatles tee, wore a GnR tee at their concert, no problem.

If my band ever gets printed tees, I'll wear them all right.

Chicago John

Reaction score
I've seen Keef wear a Stones t-shirt a couple of times in photos.

I did find this :laugh2:

tumblr_ll2b5uxr2Z1qz7lxdo1_500.jpg

Here it is:
high_contrast_music_rolling_stones_keith_richards_bands_hd-wallpaper-798903.jpg

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
A quick google search and you'll find a hell of a lot of bands have worn their own t- shirts.

john_bonham_wearing_Led_zeppelin_shirt-209x300.jpg

Some because they wanted too, some because they probably had no clean clothes while on tour. Some because they don't put a lot of thought or care into what they wear?

I probably wouldn't wear my own bands t-shirt if we had one. I don't even wear Gibson/Marshall t-shirts. I do have Zeppelin, grateful dead tour t's that I wear though.

Pennyman

Reaction score
Once one reaches a certain age (usually late 30s to early 40s, it varies from person to person) one shouldn't wear band t-shirts, period.

Lyrica

Songwriting Machine
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm going to get a picture of me on a t shirt, wearing a t shirt with a picture of me on it wearing a t-shirt....

GitFiddle

Reaction score
I sometimes wear the band shirt when I am unloading and setting up the PA and lights. When its time to play, I change into something clean and dry.

This is one of my favorites...
$T2eC16RHJIYE9qUcOQgDBQRwzFDjvQ~~60_1.JPG

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I wear near anything off hours as long as it doesn't stink too bad.

Maynar

You reached for the secret too soon
Reaction score
I sometimes wear the band shirt when I am unloading and setting up the PA and lights. When its time to play, I change into something clean and dry.

This is one of my favorites...
$T2eC16RHJIYE9qUcOQgDBQRwzFDjvQ~~60_1.JPG

Those aren't fingers, those are sausages... :shock:

Eball92

Reaction score
I'm okay with it. As far as I see it, promotes merch sales if your good, so why not?

Quite a few of you have this problem with wearing any bands tees though, which I just don't get. Its a bad thing to show off the music you like or the concert you went too?

Latest Threads