We have a top secret laboratory

E.T.

Reaction score
The "movie props" bit is interesting, hadn't thought of that!
I also love how this is at the top of the "related articles" list at the bottom:

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Like relics but not paying someone thousands to perform the voodoo.

mjross

Reaction score
Additional justification for pricing. That secret security stuff has got to be expensive!

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Reaction score
If it is so Top Secret hows come WE know abouts it?"

jlb32

Reaction score
Silly IMO. Murphy and Gibson are just taking what others already knew and using it to age guitars. It has been known and around forever. Gibson has known this since the beginning?

Murphy razor blade aged his guitars for years upon years upon years. Now there is a new aging process? Really? It's called "cold", "heat", "cold", "heat", "cold", etc... etc...
Something that has always caused aging on a nitro finish.
I hope Murphy isn't just figuring this out. lol
I know he isn't, just funny how Gibson claims this is a "new" process.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The claim is that the lab was named after the expert Tom Murphy..... not that Tom has set foot in it....:rofl:
186531B3-6CA0-4FEA-99FA-50485CDA2685.jpeg

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Murphy Lab = "We taught a bunch of monkies how to type. Now we're just waiting for the next great novel".

Unless they started doing what Kim/HM, DJ, and a few other choice Luthiers have been doing for YEARS, then Tom just taught them how HE does it (which he's explained many times), and the ML guitars are no different, than anything that Gibson/TM has done before?

I will say this, Gibson's in-house aging has come a LONG way since Tom stopped doing them, exclusively.

I remember seeing one of the first Joe B aged GTs, and it looked like complete shite, even from a few feet away. Totally unconvincing.:laugh2:

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Silly IMO. Murphy and Gibson are just taking what others already knew and using it to age guitars. It has been known and around forever. Gibson has known this since the beginning?

Murphy razor blade aged his guitars for years upon years upon years. Now there is a new aging process? Really? It's called "cold", "heat", "cold", "heat", "cold", etc... etc...
Something that has always caused aging on a nitro finish.
I hope Murphy isn't just figuring this out. lol
I know he isn't, just funny how Gibson claims this is a "new" process.
Canuck aging is cheaper.

Guitar in trunk. Tour Canada in winter.

calieng

Reaction score
Tom is trying to improve a process on a large scale for international sales of thousands of guitars. He deserves some credit for what he has achieved.

HM and others do excellent work but are a smaller shop that can tailor their work to each customer. They also deserve credit for leading the way in the finish and aging process.

But dumping on Tom or calling the staff monkeys....well I guess I have to disagree.

Last edited:

jlb32

Reaction score
Tom is trying to improve a process on a large scale for international sales of thousands of guitars. He deserves some credit for what he has achieved.

HM and others do excellent work but are a smaller shop that can tailor their work to each customer. They also deserve credit for leading the way in the finish and aging process.

But dumping on Tom or calling the staff monkeys....well I guess I have to disagree.
I love Murphy's work over the years. Murphy is killer at what he does but the price Gibson asks for these new Murphy guitars is "insane" IMO. Many Heavily aged versions are over $10K. $7K is about the cheapest model if you want a new one.

calieng

Reaction score
The heavy aged '54 Goldtop I just got was low $6k out the door but yes they are getting very expensive. It is our free market system. The price may ease a bit with time or it may even go up. They seem in high demand so far.

jlb32

Reaction score
The only way they go up in price is if Gibson quits making them. I just don't see that happening for several years at least.

Otherwise, the more of them on the market year after year of production, the more they go down in price on the used.

Guess I will wait since I just personally do not think they are worth the new prices for what they are.

At least the older Gibson Collectors Choice and Signatures were limited. These Murphy Labs are not.

Latest Threads